71_Bronco

Seat Springs Question

71_Bronco

Picked up a couple of used seat springs off Ebay to put on my Commando 8. I have 2 questions though.

1. Does the long part of the "U" go against the seat, or the seat pan?

2. Have any of these springs actually broken from use? Constant flexing over the years? I'm not a big guy (5'7", 150 lbs), but like all things, I cant imagine these have an infinite life expectancy. Or am I over-thinking / worrying for nothing?

gwest_ca

Don't know if they are all mounted the same or not

Garry

71_Bronco
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Don't know if they are all mounted the same or not

Garry

According to that, it looks like the short leg came from the factory bolted to the seat pan. I'll have to measure the opening and see how it compares to the 2-1/8" they state in the recall notice.

Thanks

Racinbob

The 76-77 B-series had a different part # than the C-series but that was due to the B's having a low back seat and different bolt pattern. The bulletin applies the same and the short end bolts to the tractor. :)

• Like 1

71_Bronco

The ones I have are off a '77 C120 according to the ad on eBay. They have a hole pattern of 7" center to center on the springs, both sides of the "U".

clueless

Short end tractor, long end seat. My oldest set are 45 years old and I don't thing they've even bent down any and that's with 25 years of my 250+lb butt seating on them.

• Haha 2

squonk

Seat springs are tough. Clueless approved and tested to strict government standards. Try drilling a hole in one!

• Like 1

clueless
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Seat springs are tough. Clueless approved and tested to strict government standards. Try drilling a hole in one!

Tried that once :snooty: ended up having my BIL blow the holes in with his torch, not pretty but it worked. After that anytime I needed to replace a seat on one, finding a seat with the right bolt holes was much easier.   

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Luckily, the seat I got from TSC has the correct pattern, and the holes all match up with the springs / seat / seat pan.

So glad I dont have to try to drill out anything, especially if the springs are really tough steel.

Thanks again!