LengerichKA88

Bee friendly bee killer

LengerichKA88

I know, “But Kyle, how can a Bee killer be “Bee Friendly”?

After last season I read an article that was about Bee friendly pesticides, and Sevin-5, which I used on my roses and grapes, was listed as detrimental to bees. I had no idea, but it explained why only half of the flowers would form fruit. I was killing the bees that were trying pollinate for me, so pollination was erratic, cause odd looking grape clusters. 

This year I started using Neem Oil. It kills aphids and other pests, and is also a fungicide. The nice thing is that once it dries, it’s no longer a threat to bees.  Granted you still want to keep it off the flowers, but it will kill all the things you want and let your local bees live. 

Now, if it makes contact with a bee while still in a liquid suspension, it will kill them. 

We have a carpenter bee problem. 

A bad one. I’ve killed 11-12 since 9am today. I still had some suspension left after spraying the vines, trees, and roses when it dawned on me: spray this in the hole. 

Ive gotten two that came out soaked, and are now dead, and I’ve also got an idea of where they’re at now based on hearing the mixture in the eves. 

The traps have done nothing for us, so I’ve been swatting the ones I can when I can. I’ve read that most people resorted to calling an exterminator because the commercially available methods failed. Not once have I ever read about using Neem oil, which is relatively in expensive and seems to be a good way to get them where they live, so I wanted to share. 

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

Carpenter bees are a big problem here too. By accident I kind of found a solution for outside sheds. A couple of years ago I had a carpenter ant infestation inside my main shed caused by a tiny water leak in shingles. Knowing very well how hard  it is to get rid of them, essentially one needs to kill the queens in the nest, and wanting to do it quickly I decided to put in there one of those fumigating cans. When I went in there the next day not only all ants were dead, (seems that every insect in there was trying to make it to the door) but also inside of shed there were dozens of carpenter bees. I had never seen any inside shed before. Obviously some of these holes went inside. Also outside of shed there were many on the ground. Seems to me that the pesticide penetrated through boards to some extent, definitely through the holes.

In another small shed( my outside tool shed) it was the buffalo crickets. I am not squeamish about bugs but those things are scary. Sure enough I fumigated the place and soon there were hundreds crawling out of shed dying. Never had a problem again with any of these insects in the sheds I fumigated . I think that stuff lingers for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

That’s good to know if they do end up in the shop. Right now they’ve taken up residence in our eves. I’ve been worried about that though, because the addition is brand new, and that means brand new wood. 

I actually had to reinforce my fly swatter, the handle was bending because I was swinging it so hard. 

I am 9 for 9* with this set up.  

E9E7DD9F-218E-4E13-BC5E-2D8343CAE137.jpeg

Edited by LengerichKA88
* Par for this course is 3
  • Haha 1

formariz

They are a problem. Then the woodpecker comes trying tog et at the larvae inside hole and finishes off the board.:angry-banghead:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
4 minutes ago, formariz said:

They are a problem. Then the woodpecker comes trying tog et at the larvae inside hole and finishes off the board.:angry-banghead:

Ours don’t do that, they go after the suet... less effort lol

• Like 2

JAinVA

When they hover down low I hit them with brake cleaner.That stuffs kill bugs,any bugs,on contact.

• Like 3

LengerichKA88
Just now, JAinVA said:

When they hover down low I hit them with brake cleaner.That stuffs kill bugs,any bugs,on contact.

I’ve stopped using sprays because I end up with it on me or in my eyes mouth.... where they’re concentrated catches the wind just right that if we get a gust more than 15-20mph, it’s cyclones in the corner.

When  I was younger and  and less tame, WD40 and a propane torch killed any bug I needed it too 😂

• Like 1

squonk

Castle Brake Cleaner used to shoot about 20 ft.! Made a sport out of it! :)

My Father was allergic to bees. I gave him a case of brake cleaner every Christmas! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

LengerichKA88

If it’ll shoot that far, I may be able to get away with it, might save from having to power wash the siding too 😂😂

• Haha 1

LengerichKA88

I just found another one doing the death circle crawl. That makes three for the Neem oil, which I’m reapplying as I think of it through out the day as the suspensions lasts. It’s only good for about 8 hours per mixture. 

roadapples

If you've got the time fleamarket tennis racket is fun....

• Haha 1

LengerichKA88
12 minutes ago, roadapples said:

If you've got the time fleamarket tennis racket is fun....

Badminton rackets are lighter with better reach 😉😂

• Like 1

oldredrider

I like the electric rackets. Deadly accurate and fun too. They make a "crack" sound when you zap those critters. Will even take down those nasty Bell Hornets. 

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

I like the electric rackets. Deadly accurate and fun too. They make a "crack" sound when you zap those critters. Will even take down those nasty Bell Hornets. 

We have one of those actually haha. It’s harder to swing as fast as a regular swatter, but it’s great for zapping them while they have their heads stuck in a flower. 

• Haha 1

adsm08
15 hours ago, squonk said:

Castle Brake Cleaner 

You mean aerosol water?

I have a few cans of that stuff left, I use it for hand cleaner.

The Tuul Crib

Tennis anyone ??

757D7D74-8012-4F33-ABEF-7540125E2921.png