seven

Hydraulic pump

seven

Has anyone tried to run a hydraulic pump off the front off the tractor engine for a log splitter 

JAinVA

Never tried that but a lot of the loaders run a pump off the front pto.The only problem is that you would have to disconnect the hydro lines to move the tractor or drop the pump off as a unit.Where are you thinking about putting the hydraulic tank?You would have to run the suction and return lines back to the hydro tank.

I guess my point would be that a 6.5 horse Predator engine,which is what I have now on my splitter,would be more practical in my mind.

Edited by JAinVA

seven

Run the pump off the front PTO and have the two lines come out the back with quick connects then have a towable log splitter with a tank and contols on it?

JAinVA

You could do that.The setup as you describe should work fine.Just remember that the suction line should be bigger than the pressure line.You don't want to starve the pump.

wallfish

You can't do it the way described (or shouldn't). Don't quick connect the suction or pressure hoses which go directly to the pump. Something will give if the pump runs. A thin steam of oil under high pressure will easily cut. Guess you could always remove the belt each time but it'll be dangerous if the belt stays on and the hoses are blocked.

Quick connects are used on the circuit hoses after the control valve and that valve bypasses the pump pressure back to the tank.

• Like 1

JAinVA

If you have both male or female coupling on the pump wallfish is correct.If you use a male on the pump supply and a female on the pumps return then you could connect them and have closed circuit flow at the pump.This isn't the best solution but it will be safer than dead heading the pump.Remember if you split a lot of wood then your putting hours on the horse engine which will be more costly to rebuild than a stand alone 5 or 6 horse is to replace.

Edited by JAinVA