ET160

Sinking Float

ET160

My B80 was running strangely today.  Stalling, difficult starting, gas coming out the carb, etc.  I thought maybe the float was stuck, so I tore it all apart and cleaned everything. 

Afterward, same symptoms.  I take it all apart again. 

I find the float is full of gas! 

Ordered new parts....

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

Glad you were able to find the problem, sorry you are having a little problem though.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, ET160 said:

find the float is full of gas

Ordered new parts....

Glad you found the issue and are back on track...

• Like 1

wallfish

The metal floats can be repaired with solder if you need to get back on the road quickly instead of waiting for new parts to arrive.

Dry off the float and then tilt it all around. The wet spot will indicate where the hole is.

BE CAREFUL and heat up the float with a heat gun or blow dryer. The warm air inside will expand and push the fuel out of the hole so have the hole facing down. Do not heat it enough to melt the existing solder. Once all of the liquid fuel is out, I light the fumes on fire at the hole and that will create it's own heat to pressurize it and burn out any of the remaining fuel. Once all of the fuel is out, clean the area around the hole and solder on a small drop to seal the hole. Use as little solder as possible to limit the amount of added weight.

I realize it's easier to just swap the float but repairing things can be the fun part and a challenge. Nothing to loose since it's already broke. If successful you're back in business in an hour.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I realize it's easier to just swap the float but repairing things can be the fun part and a challenge

:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

ET160
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

The metal floats can be repaired with solder if you need to get back on the road quickly instead of waiting for new parts to arrive.

Dry off the float and then tilt it all around. The wet spot will indicate where the hole is.

BE CAREFUL and heat up the float with a heat gun or blow dryer. The warm air inside will expand and push the fuel out of the hole so have the hole facing down. Do not heat it enough to melt the existing solder. Once all of the liquid fuel is out, I light the fumes on fire at the hole and that will create it's own heat to pressurize it and burn out any of the remaining fuel. Once all of the fuel is out, clean the area around the hole and solder on a small drop to seal the hole. Use as little solder as possible to limit the amount of added weight.

I realize it's easier to just swap the float but repairing things can be the fun part and a challenge. Nothing to loose since it's already broke. If successful you're back in business in an hour.

I tried and failed.  I got the float too hot and the hinge came off....

• Sad 1