oldredrider

What do you mow with and why?

C-85

EricF wrote - My father's first power mower was a Toro Whirlwind, probably a little newer than the ones in the picture. The engine had more plastic covering everything up. Then when we moved to a new house in 1970, after a year he traded it for a newer Toro self-propelled with the front drive like the one on the right in the photo. If I recall, the name was changed to "Guardian" instead of "Whirlwind", and the Tecumseh engine had black plastic covers over everything. Self-propelled was important for the hill in front of the house -- too steep to mow with the tractor that did the rest of the yard, and no fun pushing all the time.

We were a Toro dealer and we had Whirlwinds and then later on we had Whirlwinds and Guardians.  The Guardian was a fancier mower with more feature like a nicer contoured set of handle bars.  The Whirlwind was more of the 'base' model after the Guardians came out.  They were still great mowers!  My Whirlwinds did have a plastic shrouds over the engines.  The plastic tops got broken and I also changed the air filters.  They had oil bath air filters and I changed them to foam ones.  We always tip our mowers on their sides when we're done mowing and wash the underside of the decks out.  Having the foam air filters are so much better when the mower is tipped because they don't leak oil all over!  I believe washing out the decks has helped make them last so long!

C-85

Aldon

C160 8 speed with 48 inch deck.

if I ever move to somewhere with large areas of grass, I’d probably rig my GT22-8 with a 60 inch deck.

• Like 2