jkosackuk

6-8 speed trans stuck in low

jkosackuk

This forum is amazing! I restored my 6 speed transaxle this winter and all the gears work well except for the Hi/Low shifter. I didn't pay much attention to it when I was putting the housing back together though, it seemed to work. The shifter will move normally left then right... It clicks in and out of low gear but not into high.

Also a tip. I bought a neoprene gasket for my transaxle but found I didn't need to. The original gasket material was the likeness of single ply non-corrugated cardboard, the thickness of a cereal box. So I used some shipping type cardboard used to protect rolls of clear vinyl...and am happy to say after soaking it in tyranny fluid for a night it doesn't in the least but leak!

pfrederi

Welcome to red square

Does she shift ok from 1-3 and reverse??  About the only external thing you can look at is the small roll pin that connects eh hilo handle to the shaft going into the trans case.  They can shear.  Beyond that unfortunately you will have to reopen the case..

• Thanks 1

oldredrider

Been there, done that. After many years and countless hours, the hi/low shifting fork can wear.

I had one on the bench that seemed to work fine while disassembled but not so much when put back together. 

You'll probably have to tear back onto it to definitively find the problem. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

jkosackuk
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Welcome to red square

Does she shift ok from 1-3 and reverse??  About the only external thing you can look at is the small roll pin that connects eh hilo handle to the shaft going into the trans case.  They can shear.  Beyond that unfortunately you will have to reopen the case..

The roll pin is not sheared, because the shifter it clicks in and out of low gear. You're probably right, I'll have to reopen the case.

jkosackuk
6 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Good luck.

Thanks!

wallfish

Try turning the input pulley just a little as the gears don't always line up to mesh correctly.

I need to let out on the clutch pedal to spin it once, sometimes twice just to shift it into hi or low gear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

As John said,it may just need to have the  square cut gears in proper alignment to go into Hi.       :eusa-think:   Hope so!

• Thanks 1

jkosackuk

Thanks for all your help. I wound up tearing into the tyranny again, found nothing wrong, put it back together again and all works well.

Josiah

• Like 2
  • Heart 1