71_Bronco

Matched Pair Of Belts For Deck & Kevlar

71_Bronco

I have a 5-2362 mower deck for my Commando 8 that I need a new set of belts for. The pair that connects the tripple-groove pulley to the cross shaft (not sure of its proper term) is part number 1578, and its listed as a "matched set".

How important is it that this pair ob belts be matched? Is it bad if I just get 2 belts that are close?

And on a side note, when I was looking up the belts, I found kevlar reinforced belts. I remember a thread a while back about these belts. If I recall correctly, they dont stretch and give like the old belts. Not sure how they would work in this application.

Thanks!

Edited by 71_Bronco

wallfish
1 hour ago, 71_Bronco said:

How important is it that this pair ob belts be matched? Is it bad if I just get 2 belts that are close?

By "matched set" they are stating the two belts themselves are the exact same size, matched. A matched set.

Is this what you meant?

If you get 2 different size belts which go to the same pulleys, the longer one won't do anything

71_Bronco

Yes, I know that "matched" means that they are the same size (within a +/- tollerance obviously), but what I'm wondering is if it is needed for my application.

If not, I can just get 2 belts off the shelf that are the right size, and go to town.

From what I've found, the 1578 is a 3/8" x 37" OC belt (if someone can confirm, that'd be awesome).

It would be fantastic if I could just grab a pair off the shelf and let it loose, but if the matched set is needed, I'd rather spend the money and get the right stuff.

daveoman1966

Get your MATCHED SET of belts here....about $ 30 for the pair.  Just enter your part # as 1578 and clik thru the listings.

https://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp?aribrand=TO#

gwest_ca

Back in the day belts were made in batches. One batch could be slightly longer or shorter than the next. They were made in a single wide belt that was cut to the proper width to fill the order. Each batch was stored together and when shipped to a distributor the order had multiples of one belt banded together with tape that had "Matched set" printed on it. The end user was assured the belts were all the same as one application I recall had a 150hp electric motor driving a wood chipper with many matched belts between the two.

Manufacturing practises improved with technology so this is no longer necessary.

Garry

pacer
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Manufacturing practises improved with technology so this is no longer necessary.

This is what my 'belt store' has been telling me for some time - Like so many things nowadays. I recently needed a 'matched'  pair of A37's and with a different counter man, I asked again and got the same answer - they dont have/carry "matched" belts anymore.

peter lena

if you have a local  T/S  just bring down what you have a match them up, in today's international world , generic is standard stuff, pete

71_Bronco

Thanks all for the replys. I ended up buying some NOS toro-branded belts off ebay for less than TSC would want. But it's good to know that I can just go to TSC next time I need them.

gwest_ca

Should add that two belts from two different manufacturers will not match but a pair from each manufacturer should be two matched pairs.

Hope that makes sense.

Garry