prondzy

Jim, i Like it a lot!

• Thanks 1

PA.BOB

Beautiful work that you did.    

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Thanks for all the compliments fellas. Can't wait to hook up a plow on her and stick it in a furrow. Prondzy says ther is no better way to seat some rings than put a load on her. Will be doing some fine tuning on her over the summer some V61's would really set her off as well as a decent seat. She is going to get loaded in the trailer and will be at AJ's on Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Achto

It turned out great Jim!!:handgestures-thumbupright: The red & gold give off an old Trans Am vibe to me. Truly looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.

SylvanLakeWH

Wow!

:bow-blue:

• Thanks 1

WHX??
8 minutes ago, Achto said:

The red & gold give off an old Trans Am vibe to me. 

To quote the Boss ... "all gonna meet down at the Cadillac Ranch!" :lol:

• Haha 1

Shynon

Looking good Jim I like the gold with the red. Now I see where you Beer and Cheese Ball money went. :ychain:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Tractorhead

Pretty awesome what you build.👍

the more if i seen the Pics what you got at start,

i know, that’s a lot of work,

but it‘s worth each minute and each cent you spent for.

Impressive result ..👍

• Thanks 1

953 nut

Great job.     :bow-blue:               You can be proud of the outcome       :text-coolphotos:            The seat looks great, Bob's seat covers for the factory seat are outstanding but I don't see anything wrong with yours.         :twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

608KEB
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, WHX22 said:

Where’d you put the video?  You did take a few, didn’t you?

Hold your horses said the old bull to the young'n ... lets not run down to get  them cows we'll walk!

That's the "G" rated version of that story.

• Haha 1

WHX??

Family site here 608... I suppose I could go put the adult version in the funnies section. ....:lol:

Did manage to stick in in the dirt and must admit it looks just fine in working clothes. Pulled a eight inch plow no problem but a twelve in hard pack gonna  need weights and fluid. I don't think I'll spring for the expense since I have dedicated plow rigs. When we get any kind of decent weather I'm gonna drop a ten on it and turn some dirt but I suspect it will do do OK in my sandy loam soil. Just want to work the motor somemore to get to the break in oil change. I am real happy about the way this thing runs. Tranny seems a little noisy tho you notice that Dan?  When I built the motor it did not have an ACR cam so the starter struggles abit if caught on compression stroke. Once it rolls pops on the first Rev with little  choke. It has a cam that I have never seen with a spark retard  on the side opposite where the ACR should be. 

20190519_090815.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

WHX??

Here is the same 241 off the other 1055, note the ACR clearly visible. 

Second pic has the cam I used with with the funky points cam, same type of fly weights and hair springs but on the opposite side of the cam

This whole  topic  might be better off in engines section.

I can't  give the spec no.  off the motor I built ... it's a who knows where that engine plate went.

If any one can skool me on this be appreciated. 

20190419_164340-1.jpg

20190417_164757-1.jpg

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 3

Wheelhorse427

I have a K181 off an 855 than I am currently rebuilding. It also had the spark advance cam, but I am putting an ACR cam in it for the rebuild. I think this engine is original to the tractor (spec number suffix "A" = 1965). I am not sure if this is true for all models, but at least K181 engines after spec number suffix "D" had an ACR cam. In the Kohler manual it says that spec suffix "D" was 1968. I came across this while searching for parts on the Kohler website:

Screenshot_20190521-150713.png

20190521_152604.jpg

• Thanks 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, Wheelhorse427 said:

ACR cam in it for the rebuild.

If I were do it over and knowing I had an extra ACR cam in a spare block I would put it in.

Still interesting to see how that spark cam performed. It's also interesting to note yours is a 65 as well WH427.

The engine plate I used was off the ACR equipped motor but since the motor/shroud I selected to use had no plate I "borrowed" :) it off the ACR motor and restored it with a decal from Terry. The stamped spec numbers do come through the decal as intended by Terry. Saying that  we have no idea the spec # off it.

I just find it odd that two mid sixties short pan motors would have different cams. Unless someone was in there before or a mixup at Kohler of sorts? It believed all Kohler equipped horses with a S/G (701 aside) had the ACR is this not true then?

oldredrider

From my experience,  the ACR came out sometime in 1964, at least in the big blocks. 

That's only based on what I've seen, not printed literature. 

• Thanks 1

Wheelhorse427
2 hours ago, WHX22 said:

It believed all Kohler equipped horses with a S/G (701 aside) had the ACR is this not true then?

I also thought this was true until I disassembled my K181. So then why do 701s have double belts if other models without ACR had a single belt?:scratchead:

• Confused 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, Wheelhorse427 said:

701s have double belts if other models without ACR had a single belt

Another :wh: head scratcher for sure.

13 hours ago, oldredrider said:

ACR came out sometime in 1964, at least in the big blocks.

What I thought to be true as well old red.  I think I am going to take this discussion to the engines section where more experts might see it.

WHX??

Hers a parts manual for a 181...check out page 31 & 32

Kohler K181 8hp IPL TP-2045-B.pdf

Capture.JPG

It appears you are correct @oldredrider in that they were phasing out the spark cam in '64/'65

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 1

Racinbob

The very first paragraph in the Kohler service manual (section 9) states that ALL K-Series single cylinder, except for the K-91, have ACR. :eusa-think:  Apparently this ain't not so? :confusion-shrug:

:)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

WHX??

This would be true Bob for all engines after '65. If you have a motor before suffix D you are going to have the spark cam, if nobody's changed it.  The parts manual for a 241 & 161 pretty much say the same thing as above. 

Interesting to note the tappet must be changed as well for an ACR cam. Looks like that tappet came with a replacement ACR cam.  Also the spark cam is different from battery and mag ignitions.

Apparently I have motors from the same year but in the transition period. OR someone changed out (upgraded)  the cam to ACR in one of the motors which is entirely plausible.

Still doesn't answer the question of a 701 double belt and a 702 not? Who's had a 161 from a 702 apart, does it have an ACR? If I had an extra cam cover gasket I'd find out easily enough.

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 2

Racinbob

Don't know if this means anything but the 701 and 702 both used the same spec engine. The 753 and 754 were different specs. One thought on the double belts that I had was that Kohler thought the 'big' 7hp needed two but then realized they didn't. :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Don't recall where I got this

1961 model 701 - Uses K161S-28522e - Only model to use two starter/generator belts

1962 model 702 - Uses K161S-28626e - Found on a 702 in Spain

And then I find this. A mistake somewhere. I recall trying to figure it out because there are inconsistencies in the info available.

1961 model 701 used K161S-28522E

1962 model 702 used K161S-28622E - Most likely a typo

1963 model 753 used K161S-28626E

The following were supplied to Wheel Horse according to Kohler records
K161S-28522 - 1961 model 701

K161S-28626 - 1962 model 702, 1963 model 753, 1964 model 754

K161S-28701e - ? - Found on a 1962 model 702 in Finland

K161T-28937 - 1964 model 704

K161-281097 - ?

K161-281194 - ?

K161T-281269 - 1976 model B-60, 1977 model B60

TT posted a shot of the Kohler manual that came with a 701.

Garry

Tractor 1961 701 Kohler engine.jpg

• Like 3

Racinbob

I have two different model lists and both of them say the 28622 for both the 701 and 702 but that's not to say they both are incorrect. So right about the inconsistencies. :wacko:

WHX??
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

'big' 7hp needed two but then realized they didn't

This could be very true Bob.

If I had the right belt and tension on this 241 with no ACR I doubt the SG would have any trouble spinning it which is it does when it gets it wheeling and dealing.  This is a fresh tight piston and big end as well.  

Anybody know if their original 753, 754 or even 854 has ACR?

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

That 1055 sure turned out “Purdy”!  Well done Jim:eusa-clap: 

I like the gold accents and the overall look of the machine.  So cool to see another rescue of one of these fine little machines that was one wrong owner away from the scrap pile.  I can’t wait to check this one out in person sometime soon.  School is just about out for the kiddos and that will free up our schedule quite a bit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1