Kate

screeeeching!

Kate

I'm new to this mower stuff. I got it started and mowed once. This time, got it started and pushed the lever to engage the blade and it screeched

so loud and horrible! I turned it off. This did not happen last time. Help please.

JAinVA

With everything off, check to see if the blades rotate freely.It sounds like the main drive belt slipping because of a bad spindle bearing or something preventing the blades from rotating.

• Like 1

adsm08
1 minute ago, JAinVA said:

With everything off, check to see if the blades rotate freely.It sounds like the main drive belt slipping because of a bad spindle bearing or something preventing the blades from rotating.

I second the motion.

A few weeks ago I watched/heard/smelled the guy two doors down smoke his spindle belt after clogging his deck with grass clippings to the point where one blade couldn't turn. We dropped his deck, cleaned it, grease it, and put a new belt on. He had to make a few passes, lowering the cut height each time, but he got her done eventually.

Take the deck off if you can, pull it out, inspect and clean the under side, make sure all the blades spin freely by hand, and get everything with a fitting greased. 

An old and/or worn belt can also make a nasty noise because it just can't grip well, so if the belt is more than a year or two old, or if it came from TCS just replace it while you are there.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, adsm08 said:

I second the motion.

A few weeks ago I watched/heard/smelled the guy two doors down smoke his spindle belt after clogging his deck with grass clippings to the point where one blade couldn't turn. We dropped his deck, cleaned it, grease it, and put a new belt on. He had to make a few passes, lowering the cut height each time, but he got her done eventually.

Take the deck off if you can, pull it out, inspect and clean the under side, make sure all the blades spin freely by hand, and get everything with a fitting greased. 

An old and/or worn belt can also make a nasty noise because it just can't grip well, so if the belt is more than a year or two old, or if it came from TCS just replace it while you are there.

:text-yeahthat:  :text-welcomeconfetti:  To

:rs:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat: and...:text-welcomeconfetti:

clueless

Last time I used my JD was in Feb. to vac up some leaves, everything worked fine. Saturday started to to a little trimming turned on the pto :o , idler pulley froze up, it can happen quick. 

• Like 1

Kate
4 hours ago, adsm08 said:

I second the motion.

I had to clear a big bunch of leaves by the pulleys-belts?. It was bad. Thank you for the info. I truly appreciate it!

• Like 2

JAinVA

Glad you got it sorted out.I can personally say that I appreciate you letting us know that you got it fixed and what the problem was.

Guest 88vic

If the Pto clutch tension (on the disc) isnt properly tight enough it will squeal as well. Easy to adjust, pull the pin and adjust the eyelet on the control rod.  Be careful not to go too tight or premature bearing failure can happen. There is a proper way to adjust, maybe someone else can explain, I just go by feel but ive been around these machines for awhile. 

Guest 88vic

Kate , youve found the right place to be, the folks here on Red Square are the best. Its like going back to your old hometown, everyone knows everyone and always people to lend a helping hand. Ive made forever friends here for sure !   Welcome to Red Square, it wont be long before you get "Horse Fever".  

Tuneup

Is your cat missing? They get into the strangest places. Ours used to like to sleep near the engine fan - had to pop the hood before heading out and you'd get that loud scream and a flash of fur if you didn't. Amazing that cat lived all those years.

With the belt as loose a possible, try to spin the mower pulley. It should spin slowly to a stop after you get it going. If not, grass clogged or bad spindle bearings or something under the deck. The idlers also tend to freeze and can be manually spun. It's one or more of these and these machines are so easily diagnosed! Good luck!