Anvil

520H Drive Belt Cover Vent Holes?

Anvil

Ok, I know this might be an abomination to the purest but I recently purchased a rough '91 520H and am in the process of redoing a lot of the sheet metal. I read an article about putting holes in the drive belt cover by the rear cylinder to improve air flow but it is long gone. Do I do the deed or is it not very beneficial for the air movement? Opinions are welcome.

Anvil

JAinVA

5816276c3db2d_2beltguard.JPG.623f5c90fc3af92054f0b0447ae34b70.JPGCouldn't hurt and it helps airflow.The best thing in my mind is it helps when checking for chaff build up in the rear fins and with clean out of the fins as well. I went a step further and removed the upper belt guard mount.If you are concerned about originality and I know of some folks here are, you could just another get another belt guard to modify.Then just swap back and forth.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

DougC

I modified my 1988 520H old and ugly Horse with a series of hole saws in the area of controversy..... Lots more ventilation of hot and I mean Hot air flow than before. This is the unit I mow with in the summer in high humidity and 90 degree F. plus temps.. 30W  oil of course in the Onan 20 HP

Still going strong.

I have a 95 520H that is very near factory perfect that I would never consider violating in that manner!!!!!!!!  :lol:

• Like 1

Lee1977

You realy don't need the belt guard on a 520 for proper operation like you do with a 4 or 8 speed.  So it's up to you as to whether to cut it or not. The belt guides are a part of the tractor the guard is just a cover.    

JAinVA

I always remove the belt guards on my mower decks but I never would never run any Wheel Horse without a main belt guard.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

I always remove the belt guards on my mower decks but I never would never run any Wheel Horse without a main belt guard.

I will never remove the belt guards on the mower deck again.  When mowing a side hill, I put my foot down on a pulley then immediately went to the emergency room.

JAinVA

Granted that a lack deck belt guards adds a certain element of risk but I never mow grass unless I have on heavy boots.