Justice77

Little Panzer

ebinmaine

Excellent find Joe!

How have you been? Hope all is well.

I'll be looking forward quite a bit to seeing how this one progresses.

midpack

Looks good. That "big boy rear end" is a junk yard salvage Chrysler rear. I had to replace a (leather) axle seal in my T65 and found out mine was from a 1946 year car. 

Fun machine to drive, but a little cramped for a guy who's 6' 2"... lol

Justice77
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Excellent find Joe!

How have you been? Hope all is well.

I'll be looking forward quite a bit to seeing how this one progresses.

Thanks Eric. I'm well and hope all is well with you. This is an odd little machine and I'm sure I'll have fun wrenching on it.

Justice77
4 minutes ago, midpack said:

Looks good. That "big boy rear end" is a junk yard salvage Chrysler rear. I had to replace a (leather) axle seal in my T65 and found out mine was from a 1946 year car. 

Fun machine to drive, but a little cramped for a guy who's 6' 2"... lol

Hmmm... Are you sure that's not an orig. rear end? It looks to be but I'm not familiar with these at all. The guy had 2 more like it and rear end looked the same on all of them.

Have a mower deck too, but missing pto pulley.

Justice77
7 minutes ago, Justice77 said:

Hmmm... Are you sure that's not an orig. rear end? It looks to be but I'm not familiar with these at all. The guy had 2 more like it and rear end looked the same on all of them.

Have a mower deck too, but missing pto pulley.

I did just see a video of one with a '49 Plymouth rear end and they said that this was standard equipment for that model - different than mine. It also had a 3 spd Jeep / Willys trans.

Pullstart

Many tractor manufacturers went to the junk yards for parts to build their creations back in the day.

But just imagine, your brand new tractor having used parts on it from the start!  I imagine when they di their narrowing, they did a little reconditioning too.

WHNJ701
35 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Many tractor manufacturers went to the junk yards for parts to build their creations back in the day.

But just imagine, your brand new tractor having used parts on it from the start!  I imagine when they di their narrowing, they did a little reconditioning too.

this was the end of the panzers, they put a stop to then using the rear axles for fear of liability even back in the 70s,  interestingly if you look at the tractors the rears are mounted upside down

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, jabelman said:

this was the end of the panzers, they put a stop to then using the rear axles for fear of liability even back in the 70s,  interestingly if you look at the tractors they are mounted upside down

That’s a “high pinion” Chrysler, huh?  Desirable for rock crawling garden tractors! 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I have an identical one buried in the barn.  Mine needs an engine overhaul, the cylinder is worn 0.009 over.   I see your missing the foot rest.   If your interested in making your own, I can get you measurements of mine.  There a guy on Vermont Clist that has an ad titled "Reproduction Panzer Parts" that makes them.  As mentioned above, panzer went to the junk yard and got dodge or chrysler rear ends and narrowed them.

WHNJ701
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

That’s a “high pinion” Chrysler, huh?  Desirable for rock crawling garden tractors! 

yes they do go anywhere but they are heavy around 650 pound tractors, I redid ones for each of my kids to learn on, plus with the hand clutch/drive it easy for them.  they didn't need to use the pedals or shifting gears. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

I have an identical one buried in the barn.  Mine needs an engine overhaul, the cylinder is worn 0.009 over.   I see your missing the foot rest.   If your interested in making your own, I can get you measurements of mine.  There a guy on Vermont Clist that has an ad titled "Reproduction Panzer Parts" that makes them.  As mentioned above, panzer went to the junk yard and got dodge or chrysler rear ends and narrowed them.

I've seen that person's ad for panzer Parts up here in Maine as well on CL.

I think Mr wall fish was telling me that he runs out of Auburn Mass.

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I've seen that person's ad for panzer Parts up here in Maine as well on CL.

I think Mr wall fish was telling me that he runs out of Auburn Mass.

if someone has his contact for the repro parts please post it or send it to me thanks 

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

if someone has his contact for the repro parts please post it or send it to me thanks 

@wallfish.... ?

wallfish
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

Search "Panzer Parts" on Worcester MA craigslist. Yes, he's out of Auburn MA

oliver2-44

@jabelmanPer his Ad."Reproduction Panzer Parts" ..Tim 774-289-2601

Justice77

Nice to know there are repro parts out there. So, reverse rubber for sure... I don't see where I'm missing a foot rest. The resto's I've seen just have a foot peg on the left side. My right side has the foot pedal that's attached to the drive lever, and a foot peg.

It didn't take much to get this running. Everything seems to work. I did put a set of tires on it, inc. different / slightly larger front wheels. Engine is not orig. and is a 1969 9hp Briggs. I'll likely do a full resto on this, not overly concerned w/ originality, but will want it to at least look period correct. I'll somehow use a Kabota replacement muffler like on the Yardman hot rod mower as I really don't like a lot of noise.

Color I envision is a light mint pearl (like the inside of an Andes Mint) with cream accent for wheels, seat, engine, jackshaft. I have the rear fenders as well.

jkJwkOm.jpg

4kBxMsI.jpg

Edited by Justice77
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Darb1964

Nice

ebinmaine

Good ideas. I like the direction you're headed.

19richie66

I think Kate @tractorchick  and Brandon with LAGT magazine bought out a bunch of Panzer parts and the rights to make them. I may be wrong. 

AMC RULES

:thumbs: Since recently acquiring one myself...

I'm definitely digging them Panzers too.  :handgestures-thumbup:

20190629_130035.jpg.641907b6e8c04c7fdff3fd1b6a7a8edc.jpg

• Like 1

Justice77

Wow, a trike! Nice!

WHNJ701
54 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I think Kate @tractorchick  and Brandon with LAGT magazine bought out a bunch of Panzer parts and the rights to make them. I may be wrong. 

they bought out dandy sales which was a large panzer parts supplier.  I haven't checked there website lately, they seemed unorganized with the panzer parts last I checked unfortunately 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

They upgraded there Panzer Parts part of the website this summer. Nice pictures of almost every part they have. I just ordered some items for my Panzer, there in the mail today