Packman

CARB SETUP??

Packman

I recently pulled a commando 8 out a hedge where it had been sat for 10 plus years rebuilt gear box and steering and all was running fine until my boy played with the carb adjusters!! It will only run with choke on and will die as soon as choke is taken off of any load is put on engine . I have no manuels so need help to get it up and running properly again I have the numbers off the I'd plate if that will help?? 

• Excellent 1

Packman

Model 1-4832

Serial 115416

Belgium 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Not much known about this model but you are not alone.

Is your tractor decaled a Commando 7 or Commando 8? There was also a Commando 6.

Have included the Commando 7 info with the Commando 8

Click on the pictures

This manual will help with the engine

Garry

• Excellent 1

Packman

It's a commando 8 

• Like 1

Packman

15579979177623275870288507906264.jpg

• Excellent 1

Packman

15579979610457865678594804857830.jpg

• Excellent 1

Packman

15579980062922041611722168397820.jpg

• Excellent 1

Packman

15579980473611137219478208075975.jpg

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

Packman

15579998411788821355014874100119.jpg

• Excellent 1

Packman

Just started it up from cold and it seems to run fine so thinking its a hot running problem ??

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS: A good starting place for the top adjustment screw is 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. Count how many turns in when you bottom it out & record this as a reference.

A bad ignition condenser can also cause issues when running faster speeds and under load. A bad condenser will give similar systems that will act like a fuel problem

Glad to see that you are bringing it back to life!! :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

Heres another piece that will help you get it adjusted.

It's also possible when your boy fiddled with it he just knocked a piece of varnish loose which was bound to happen anyway so go easy on him.

A good carb cleaning & replace fuel line/filter is always recommended after sitting in a fence row for ten years.

Carburator Reference Manual TP-2377-E.pdf

• Like 3

adsm08
1 hour ago, Achto said:

:WRS: A good starting place for the top adjustment screw is 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. 

^This^.

Standard base setting for all small engine carbs that I am familiar with is turn it in until it stops, then back off 1 1/2 turns. Adjust as needed from there. Going right leans the mix, going left richens it.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:Thanks for sharing the pictures, especially the Belgium nameplate.  

• Like 1

Packman

Thanks for the advice , will be trying the carb settings later.  And no problem for the pics it has taken alot of work so far to get it to where it is as gearbox was seized solid and full of water and steering was seized solid . I will post update later on how its running 

Packman

Have jus4t st ripper and rebuilt carb setting both adjusters to 1 and half turns from full in and it will still only run with choke on?? Please help 

Packman

Have just stripped and rebuilt sorry for mistake 😂

Packman

Top adjuster screew at 4.5 turns out will run without choke when reved will pick up revs for 20 seconds then die? I don't know much about carb adjustment so any help will be greatly appreciated 

adsm08
41 minutes ago, Packman said:

Have jus4t st ripper and rebuilt carb setting both adjusters to 1 and half turns from full in and it will still only run with choke on?? Please help 

Go home Auto Correct, you are drunk.

12 minutes ago, Packman said:

Top adjuster screew at 4.5 turns out will run without choke when reved will pick up revs for 20 seconds then die? I don't know much about carb adjustment so any help will be greatly appreciated 

I'm pretty novice at it myself. I just put it to that base setting and then fiddle with it until I get the results I want. Being that these engines are air-cooled I usually try to set it a hair on the rich side as a rich engine runs cooler than a lean one. Also, lean engines spit sparks from time to time.

• Like 1

pfrederi

that much open on the main needle and needing choke tells me you have a major air leak somewhere.  while it is running spray some carb cleaner around the mounting flange see if anything changes.  is your throttle shaft wobbly???

71_Bronco

Assuming you have the same K-181 Kohler as I do on my Commando 8 (which it looks like), the Kohler manual says the following:

Low Idle Screw: 1-1/4 turns out from bottomed

Main Fuel Screw: 2 turns out from bottomed

Below is a link to the kohler engine manual, explaining how to tune the carb. Hopefully this helps.

http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/ens_593_f_all.pdf

Edited by 71_Bronco

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Packman said:

Disassemble that carb and clean it thoroughly, then adjust as others have said.  If the main needle is open that far, and there are no air leaks, it tells me there is much restriction from dirt.

WHX??

Since to have to choke it that could be a sign of short fuel supply ...Other things to check...

outlet from tank not plugged/petcock

restriction in gas lines

fuel pump

carb inlet needle valve

Good luck & keep us posted

Packman

There seems to be enouvb fuel getting though to the carb (get a squirt on initial crank then steady flow approx same as gravity fed) I think main needle is blocked I have ordered a replacement carb from eBay for 15 USD/ 12 GBP so going to try that when it arrives couls be a while as coming from China.  On the mean time I am going to have a look at the fuel pump and flow rate . Has any one else serviced a pump on this engine??