LengerichKA88

Throttle (?) Pedal

LengerichKA88

So, I saw an Instagram post of a pulling tractor, but didn’t want to ask these questions there:

1) What’s the purpose?

2) Does the trans matter as to if you would add one or not (hydro v Gear)? 

4) Pros/Cons?

5) Is that something one could do with the proper engines for these tractors? 

Im not running out and buying a pedal, I just want the education as to the what, when, where, why, and how simply for the sake of knowing. 

Might be better served in the “Pullers” section but figured here to be safe. 

Edited by LengerichKA88

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

tunahead72

Likewise, although I suspect part of the reason is that it gives quicker and smoother throttle response than a knob or lever.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

:popcorn:

I figured when I saw your name on the notification I had an answer! 😂

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

I figured when I saw your name on the notification I had an answer! 😂

Hehehe.... Nope...

• Haha 1

wallfish

Quicker throttle response while having 2 hands to hold on.

Doesn't make any sense to have one for a worker tractor but I had one on a fast hot rod tractor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Quicker throttle response while having 2 hands to hold on.

Doesn't make any sense to have one for a worker tractor but I had one on a fast hot rod tractor.

So, it functions like a cars gas pedal when it’s in gear, correct? 

With a pedal, I could put the tractor in 3, and still have a smooth, easy take off based on how I depressed it?

I just want to make sure I’m fully understanding it correctly. If so, that makes sense, and I could see why that would be something beneficial to pulling competitions. 

Im guessing that’s not something that would be good on the engines that are in our horses  then? Not the older ones anyway. 

Achto
1 hour ago, LengerichKA88 said:

1) What’s the purpose?

2) Does the trans matter as to if you would add one or not (hydro v Gear)?  

4) Pros/Cons?

1) Quicker response & hands free is one purpose of the foot throttle. Depending on the class the foot throttle may still be connected to the governor. It also serves as a dead man throttle, where is if you fall off the engine returns to an idle. Not that the engine will come back down quickly, specially if your running a 60lb fly wheel in place of the 35lb st0ck one. The club in my area requires a kill tether that hooks to the sled, just in case you come unhooked.

2) hydro's just don't work well as a puller. gear jammer is where it's at

4) Really not that practical for a worker

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

@Achto, I figured it wouldn’t work, or work well with a hydro if it functioned the way I thought it did. 

Seemed like something that would go on a “toy”, if they were practical for work Wheel Horse would’ve made em that way 😂. I think it might be a neat idea for a project I have in mind for the future, but probably won’t progress beyond that. 

May be a good thing to keep in mind if I ever do a tractor for the little ones, I like the idea of it returning to an idle. Lessens the chance of a run away tractor, ask me how I know about the horrors of owning up to that haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

Lessens the chance of a run away tractor,

Seat switch or a person tether would do the same.

• Like 2

wallfish
6 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

May be a good thing to keep in mind if I ever do a tractor for the little ones,

Those little 2 seater cars I built used a foot throttle as well. In conjunction with a centrifugal clutch they were safer for the kids to drive without having a clutch pedal. Basically hit the gas and go. Let off the gas and the centrifugal clutch slips it into a neutral position because the engine does not engage at low rpm.  The bike also uses this same principle but with a twist throttle and a go kart type torque converter. Again it's just hit the gas and go on that one too. With the added centrifugal clutch or torque converter, it's just like driving a car with an automatic transmission. Is that what you were thinking about?

8 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

Im guessing that’s not something that would be good on the engines that are in our horses  then? Not the older ones anyway.

It's not a problem for the engines. It's just a different way of controlling the rpm.

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

What’s the purpose?

@fast88pu could answer all your puller questions. As much as my :wh: bounces around in the yard I think a throttle pedal for a worker would be a disaster waiting to happen.    :scared-yipes:

• Haha 1

LengerichKA88

As far as “run away tractor” I mean with the kid on it. I’ve seen (and have been that kid) kids freeze up and forget what they were taught with things like that, then they just hold on and wait for the worst. 

Ive seen tractors go into lakes, boats into docks, cars into cars, and the only common factor was look on the kids face up to the moment of impact. 

2 hours ago, wallfish said:

It's not a problem for the engines. It's just a different way of controlling the rpm.

My thinking on that was that, like my 8hp Kohler, they need to be ran at high rpm to make sure everything gets splashed properly with oil... if you didn’t run it with the pedal to the floor, wouldn’t you effectively be causing your engine to run hot?  

Again, I’m just curious and wanted to understand the thought process behind it. I appreciate everyone’s help!!!

LengerichKA88
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Is that what you were thinking about?

Yes! That’s what I was thinking I guess I should’ve added of anything else was changed or added to make the throttle pedal more effective. 

I knew what I wanted to ask just morning how to pose it haha

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, LengerichKA88 said:

thinking on that was that, like my 8hp Kohler, they need to be ran at high rpm to make sure everything gets splashed properly with oil... if you didn’t run it with the pedal to the floor, wouldn’t you effectively be causing your engine to run hot?

This is one of those topics that is kind of like your favorite old pickup truck or what oil do you use... there are many different engine types and several other manufacturers that do not recommend any particular idle speed.

There are a lot of us that run our Gear Drive tractors at half throttle or even less and the engines don't heat up or wear out any sooner.

All of our tractors here are Gear Drive and we run all of them right around half throttle maybe 90% of the time or more.

With a hydro drive you do need to have the engine closer to full RPM so as to keep the transmission cool and proper amount of fluid flowing through it.

You also need to run nearer the upper end of RPM To run a lot of the implements.

• Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

^That makes sense, thanks @ebinmaine