Walhonding520

Confused

Walhonding520

I had to clean the fuel tank valve and after some issue starting, I got it running again. I checked the oil level and it was low so I added oil and it ran fine. 

Mowed for about 15 minutes and tractor just shut off. I have the switch hard wired so I know it’s not the switch. Checked oil again and still low so I added a little more. Tractor started right up. Got on to mow, started to engage pto and tractor died. Won’t start again.

The pto and seat switch lights are not on.

JAinVA

Might help to know which WH model.Some had low oil level shut off switches.

Walhonding520

My mistake. 520h

Darb1964

Gas cap my be plugged

JAinVA

You could be having an electrical issue related to the low oil shut off switch.You didn't say how long the engine ran between the times you put oil in.The casual observation by your post is that this engine is an oil eater if you need to add while cutting the grass.Fill to dipstick full mark and let us know what happens.Check what Darb 1964 points out.It could be any number of things.The more info you can give will help.

Edited by JAinVA

lynnmor

There is no low oil shutoff switch, just a light for low oil pressure.  The problem could be many things, but it does sound like a failing ignition module.  Download the demystification guide on this site so that you can troubleshoot the ignition system.  Putting a teaspoonful of gas down the carburetor throat, then quickly run the starter will tell you it is a fuel related issue if the engine briefly fires.

I would drain the oil, replace the filter and then add two quarts of SAE 30 so that you know that there is the correct amount of fresh oil in the engine.  If you need to add oil every hour or so, it is engine rebuild time.

Walhonding520

It ran for about 30 minutes until it just shut off. After it sat for about another 30 it fired right up with a little more oil added. Got on to start mowing and it shutoff when I engaged the pto. 

Going to change oil tonight along with filter. Probably pull the seat switch wiring too just to make sure my jumper wire isn’t going bad. Just to verify again, I should be going yellow to brown in the picture correct?

E7657FD6-2C4F-487D-843D-1CA03AD47DCA.jpeg

Walhonding520

It ran for about 30 minutes until it just shut off. After it sat for about another 30 it fired right up with a little more oil added. Got on to start mowing and it shutoff when I engaged the pto. 

Going to change oil tonight along with filter. Probably pull the seat switch wiring too just to make sure my jumper wire isn’t going bad. Just to verify again, I should be going yellow to brown in the picture correct?

gwest_ca

Yes - yellow and brown. The red wire goes to the dash light module.

Garry

Walhonding520

So I messed with the pto switch a little with the tractor running.  I pushed in the little black "button" that the pto lever triggers when engaged and the tractor would start to die.  Kept pushing it a few times until it no longer killed the tractor.  I am assuming that there is an issue with the switch then?  Is there a way to bypass the pto switch (just for testing purposes) and if so, which color wires to I need to jump?  I have the wiring detail above available now but I am far from an electrical expert.

gwest_ca

With the operator in the seat the seat switch should power the ignition when the pto is ON. At this time the yellow and brown are connected at the pto switch.

With no operator in the seat the pto switch powers the ignition only when the pto is OFF. At this time the yellow and orange are connected at the pto switch.

First two illustrations show operator in seat so seat switches are closed.

Garry

Tractor 1988-89 520-H Pto OFF #492-4509 SS.jpg

Tractor 1988-89 520-H Pto ON #492-4509 SS.jpg

Tractor 1988-89 520-H Pto On No operator #492-4509 SS.jpg