bc.gold

Busy beaver

bc.gold

Beaver fell half the forest, hate to get bit by this beaver check out the chisel teeth marks and the layer of wood chips around that fallen tree.

vbeaver3.png

vbeaver1.png

vbeaver2.png

• Like 7

oliver2-44

That rodent really could chisel tooth those trees.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Those rodents are amazing creatures.   

• Like 2

formariz

As a woodworker I fully understand what is needed in a tool to cut cleanly across end grain. To look at those results from an animal's teeth I have nothing but respect and admiration for what they are capable of.Nature is just amazing. I was looking at the 3/8" holes from the carpenter bees in my shed and wished only they would come in different sizes and could be domesticated. That along with a couple of beavers would greatly simplify my life.

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell

A have taken some interesting pictures while spring bear hunting in northern Quebec.    The beaver start to fell a tree from atop  the 4-6 foot deep snow.  as the snow melts, they start another lower notch and repeat this several times  creating a beaver carved totem pole.   Sorry,   I have not been able to find the 1960 vintage pictures.

• Like 1

wallfish
8 minutes ago, formariz said:

I was looking at the 3/8" holes from the carpenter bees in my shed and wished only they would come in different sizes and could be domesticated.

:ROTF:

They certainly do make nice perfect round holes.

Little bast#@%Ds keep coming back to my shed but the bigger problem is the woodpeckers which eat their larva.

formariz
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

:ROTF:

They certainly do make nice perfect round holes.

Little bast#@%Ds keep coming back to my shed but the bigger problem is the woodpeckers which eat their larva.

Yes, it is a devastating combination. There are some very simple traps one can build to avoid them. I have been saying to myself for years that I am going to make them,but never did. It seems like I will have to finally do so. I have about a dozen boards totally destroyed by those two.

wallfish

I've made the carpenter bee traps but it doesn't avoid them altogether. They collect some of them but not all. Also gets yellow jackets and other miscellaneous insects. They do help.