71_Bronco

New wiring diagram needed

71_Bronco

I'm working on a Commando 8 that has had some modifications done to the wiring. Someone installed a switch onto the dash, that is hard-wired to the lights. The lights can be turned on even with the key out of the ignition.

I have a spare 4-position key switch I want to put into it (off-run-accessory-start) to replace the 3-position on it now (off-run-start).

I also want to add a starter solenoid, as the switch is not one of the heavy duty ones that can handle the amp load for the starter.

The switch I have on hand is from a '72 Bronco 14 , pn 92-6785 / 101917. I will be wiring up the head lights, tail light, and cigar lighter to the accessory, but no electric PTO.

If anybody can either point me to a tractor with the same wiring as what I am installing, or maybe 2 tractors that i can splice the diagram together, it would be super helpful. This will be my first tractor re-wire.

Edit: engine is staying the same, the Kohler K-181S

Edited by 71_Bronco

ebinmaine

Nick, I think you could use a wiring diagram from a mid-70s B80 to get yourself out of trouble.

Click on the link here and you'll see that several guys have contributed to a thread about wiring a few different types of tractors. I've saved a link to this one in my email account and also printed off several of the pages for future reference.

• Like 1

953 nut

This diagram should be the one for you.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Eric,

That link works perfect for me. Should be able to really get it worked out from that link.

What had me a little confused was how to run the wires for the accessories. If you look at the Raider diagram, the power goes from the switch, to a fuse, to the cigar lighter. Then from the cigar lighter, it splits to the other items. This way there is only 1 connection to the switch, and 1 fuse.

I wasn't sure if I should try to run the wires like this, or connect each run to the switch with their own fuses (if that makes any sense).

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Eric,

That link works perfect for me. Should be able to really get it worked out from that link.

What had me a little confused was how to run the wires for the accessories. If you look at the Raider diagram, the power goes from the switch, to a fuse, to the cigar lighter. Then from the cigar lighter, it splits to the other items. This way there is only 1 connection to the switch, and 1 fuse.

I wasn't sure if I should try to run the wires like this, or connect each run to the switch with their own fuses (if that makes any sense).

It does make perfect sense. Yes.

Electrically speaking it doesn't matter which way you go as long as you maintain appropriate fuse protection in all circuits.

Since you're not going for a museum style restoration the circuit style would be up to your own preferences. I have a tendency to separate circuits to different sets of wires which are usually different colors. Then I make my own schematic diagram of that tractor for future reference.