RustyGold

separate headlight switch question

RustyGold

Hello all , new member here. I am the proud owner of a 1998 wheelhorse 312-8. 

Im in the process of upgrading the front gauge panel to a new dual gauge setup (volt/hour meter) with separate headlight switch. The headlights are currently switched on/off thru the ignition switch. How can I disable this and move the headlights to a separate toggle switch setup ?

0DFA5005-247F-4C3C-99A4-C08D4CCD079E.jpeg

84FAC498-2AEB-4924-A42E-A060C8469665.jpeg

• Like 1

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti:TO :rs:

Is there not a separate toggle headlight switch on the dash?

Go under the "Manuals" section here on RedSquare and look for a manual on your 312 there is probably a wiring diagram that you can download for free.

I find it easier to search individual models by year, then change the filter to sort by title, then scroll until you find your tractor model.

Always remember to disconnect the battery before any electrical modifications.

Best of luck.

I am sure other members will chime in to give more advice as well!

-Jim

gwest_ca

I would remove the L wire for the lights from the ignition switch connector. If you do not know how to do that ask. Move that wire to the new light switch.

To get power for the new light switch I would tap into the R wire going to the ignition switch. That way the the lights will be OFF when the ignition switch is OFF and ON with the engine running and new light switch ON.

Click on the pictures

Garry

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

RustyGold

Thanks JIM. This 312-8 was a late model from 1998 . The headlights are switched thru the ignition switch. I do not like because you can accidentally hit the starter while it’s already running. The older 312-8 ‘s had a separate toggle for the headlights, as it should be 😀

RustyGold

Thanks GWest , I just removed the GRAY L-wire from the harness and confirmed what you said. Now I will tap the R-wire and connect both to the new switch ! Thank you very much !

• Like 2

pacer

I also had this switch set-up on a 314-8. At first I thought, well thats goofy, I did not want the lights on all the time. With a little poking around on the ign switch I figured out what gwest led you to and added a simple on/off toggle -- much better!

• Like 2