Oliver138

C160 Bogging Down

Oliver138

Hey everyone - so my original C160 threw a rod, so until I can rebuild it (hopefully) I got another! The "new" C160 is in great shape and sounds great when running, but when I am cutting grass it has a tendency to bog down near the point of stalling out. My first one never had this problem and I am not sure where to look first. Any thoughts? 

Thanks, 

Kody

953 nut

Have you shown it the kind of love a new member of the herd deserves?    New air filter, fuel line and filter, Ignition points, condenser and spark plug. A good lubrication of all moving parts including deck spindles wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

a 16 should go thru grass without effort, i wonder how your deck looks, or was ever maintained , are you cutting at the highest setting?  is the deck packed up with grass ? i wonder if your pto is properly set for all that cutting, sounds like it should be a simple track down to the issue . send us some pictures , of tractor set up, grass to be cut , etc. all the cutters here can help if you give us more info, pete

• Like 2

ET160

I would clean the carb and readjust.

• Like 2

Oliver138

Sorry for my delay on responding to your great input. 

I feel that the bogging was a result of several minor things. Before cutting grass again I re-adjusted the deck belt (it seemed more snug than I had remembered), sharpened the blades and cleaned the deck. Those adjustments, in combination with cutting grass that wasn't on the verge of being overgrown as it was the first time I cut, really seemed to make a difference. I believe I still need a tune up though so my next step is to give it some TLC as you guys mentioned (plugs, filters, carb cleaning, etc) and I think I will be set for a while. 

Thanks for the input all!

• Like 1

richmondred01

Does it have the correct carb?

i can't tell you how many k341's I've seen with #26 carbs. 

Oliver138

Hmmm never thought of that @richmondred01. How could I tell?

peter lena

oliver 138, agree wit others above , on baseline service, as you work and service this horse , you will find the sweet spot of issue. stay after it , pete

• Like 1

richmondred01

Inside of throttle body with choke open there should #30 embossed.

• Like 1

Mudrig150

Sounds like governor, maybe. I'd try adjusting it. The governor should increase throttle input when the engine speed drops below throttle setting. I can't tell ya how many governor related issues I've seen diagnosed as carb issues, mainly bogging and surging. To do it:

Loosen the bolt that holds the arm to the governor shaft

Turn the shaft counterclockwise until it stops

Hold shaft in place, turn arm to full throttle, tighten bolt.

ZXT

I have a (sorry for mentioning here!) Cub Cadet 1650 with the same exact issue. It's gutless, and if mowing through grass that's more than about 4" tall or pulling any kind of a hill will bring down the RPM to the point that it won't cut grass. Same engine as your WH so I figured it was relevant.

Could very well be a governor issue, but I'd never through of that. I know mine shakes like everything (I think it has a K301 crank in it) and it cranks hard since the ACR is broken. I need to pull it apart and I'd like to address all of its issues at once.