Dominator

1995 onan p216

Dominator

Hi all,. I have the chance to purchase a 1995 416-8.  Little over a hundred hours.  Not real familiar with the onan.  Is it the second generation?  Does it have electronic ignition or points? Does is still have the valve seat issues or were they corrected by now? Thank you for all your replies, looking forward to being a good member.  Dominator

Edited by Dominator
Spelling

nylyon

1994 416H no issues. The P216 didn’t seem to have as big an issue with the valves.

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Dominator said:

looking forward to being a good member.

Well that kind of positive forward thinking is a great start!

We have all older models here so I can't help you with much info but welcome to Redsquare!!!

• Like 1

WHX??

First off :WRS: Dom... 

EB's a newbie too so he get some grace on welcoming a new member but Karl oughta know better! :ychain:

That said let's talk Onans... as Karl said the sweet sixteen did not have a bad as rap on the valve seat issues as a the 20 but still proper maintenance in the past is an issue as with all engines so check over that aspect if considering buying.

You mention 100 hours on the clock Dom?  This sounds too good to be true, almost NOS guy, so I personally would suspect a bad clock unless the rest of the tractor is also in pristine condition. :text-coolphotos:  would sort that out. BTW we do like our pics her! 

It will have electronic ignition. 

Just FYI most of the fellas here have a love/hate thing going on with Onans. They are a pain when they break yet ther is nothing more better sounding than the power they make when running well. 

• Like 3

Dominator

Yes,. It has exactly162 hours and it is in mint condition.  Everything is spotless, plan on picking up soon.  I used to have a b80. Great machine , I hope this one is half as good, they are really tough to find in this condition! Thanks for all the replies, the more I can learn about this model the better,. Thank you dominator

• Like 2

Darb1964

Onan motors need to be catered to for sure, but they are powerful strong motors. 100 hours would be suspect to me for a 95. I have a 520_h 1989 bought new have worked it hard for thirty years it loves hard working against the govner, they are made to run high rpms. Keep the oil, air, and gas clean. I use marvel oil in the gas and oil helps keep the motor clean. My 520 has 2000 plus hours and still kicks A.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Excellent score then Doms... :wwp:..lots of Onan pros here!

JAinVA

Sometimes you can find a true low hour machine if you look hard enough.I got this 96 416h with 247 hours on the clock as seen for $250.00.I need to get the engine sorted out but the basic machine supports the hour meter in my estimation.590bbee3a2425_96420h.jpg.9302a8db361b73630c110d9d501e2923.jpg2017_03_21_1741.thumb.JPG.a83c6485192c26713f8418efec343873.JPG5910d9a67957d_acorndump.thumb.jpg.0ef8b40c0ef0522f92ef63c2609c0b35.jpg

• Like 1

GMan

Dominator,

In answer to one of your original questions the 416H you refer to will have a P series engine with electronic ignition. With regard to Onan engines I think that all too many times they get a bad rap. Onan has made millions of engines over the years and "like" engines  were manufactured under the name "Linemar" for several years after that. Onan engines were developed for industrial usage and millions are still running in that capacity. They are in service on welders, pump apps, etc. and God only knows how many generator applications including RV's. One of the most harsh applications they were subjected to are LGT's. Many manufacters (John Deere, Wheel Horse, Case, Massey Ferguson to name a few). They are an air-cooled engine and as such depend on that air to stay alive just like us! LGT environments subject them to the worst of dust/dirt/oily conditions one can imagine, especially being completely closed in by panels meant to suppress noise and to lend to "style".  I have owned and worked on many of these engines over the years and always find the "dead" ones due to neglect. Most I find that make the pictures JAinVA posted look mild. The deaths occurred in Onan's always is due to lack of oil or blocked cooling fins causing an overheating situation. In other words neglect or abuse. I don't know about the Wheel Horse manuals but I know the JD manuals clearly state a regimented procedure for removing the engine tins and cleaning beneath them. It also calls out a regimented time to remove the heads and to decarbon them and the valves before re-assembly. The problem is no one does that (or few do). To make matters worse in the Wheel Horse applications the engines are mounted with the crankshaft perpendicular to the centerline of the tractor. This creates a situation whereby the rear cylinder (cylinder #2 in Onan speak) to run hotter than the front (or #1 cylinder). Just like the Harley Davidson's. I have found most engines to be very repairable after either throwing a rod  loosing a valve seat or loosing timing gears. I have repaired many of them and will do so as long as repair parts are available. By the way, I don't find (for the most part) Onan parts any more expensive than OEM parts for Kohler or other brands. They are also stocked and available from many dealers. I have three Onan powered tractors in my barn right know that I use for different chores and I am ready to pick up another (Wheel Horse 416H) that was given to me just because it would not start after the seasonal use two years ago. It has sat under tarp throughout this past winter and one year before and I guarantee you I will find a similar situation as the JAinVA pictures posted. I will clean under the tins, check compression, clean the fuel system, clean all electrical connections, install a new battery, put in some fresh fuel and it will start! Anyway, thanks in advance for letting me rant and I invite anyone who "gives up on an Onan" to send it my way..........It will have a new home! ............................Gary

• Excellent 2