formariz

So far it served two generations.

troutbum70

It appears it has survived very well and the builder done a top notch job in building. CONGRADULATIONS 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Very Nice. I really like passing along family heirlooms.  With that quality, you crib will make it to the great grand kids and beyond.

We have a small crib that was bought in 1929 by my grandparents for my dad.  It and a dresser came from Scarborough's department store in Austin Tx. They both went through my dad, myself, 4 brothers and sisters, my moms sisters 4 kids.  A few years ago I stripped off the white lead paint and it was made out of rock hard maple. I repaired and repainted both of them.  They have now gone through 4 great grand kids. and more to come. Sorry for no Pic, its in the attic awaiting the next great grand child. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

That's fantastic!

Our family has a cradle that's been used 5 or 6 generations now.

Awesome to be able to pass these things down the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Very nice Cas.  I think I saw you and Norm working on that  in the New Yankee Workshop.  :orcs-cheers:

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Good lookin piece! As myself l take alot

of pride in every piece of furniture l build.

Glad to see its with stood the riggers of

raising children. Had a customer awhile back came to me with their old baby bed 

and he wanted it turned into a bench to sit on. It was a surprise to his wife for Christmas. The catch was l had a little less

than three weeks to turn it out. Cut up everything to refit and this is what l come up with 

8DE408FB-1D0E-4A3F-AAE8-71F843EEE57A.jpeg

CCCA67B2-AC04-41B5-A682-65B5AB47038F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Dakota8338

Looks like you did a great job at re-purposing the old baby bed.

wh500special
8 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Very nice Cas.  I think I saw you and Norm working on that  in the New Yankee Workshop.  :orcs-cheers:

I loved watching Norm make things.   I still watch the old shows on YouTube. 

Somehow, I suspect Norm used a few more power tools than Cas did on this though!

beautiful job on the crib.   I like the Soss hinges on the side.  I had never used those before until my last build and they are slick. 

Steve

• Thanks 2

formariz
3 hours ago, wh500special said:

I loved watching Norm make things.   I still watch the old shows on YouTube. 

Somehow, I suspect Norm used a few more power tools than Cas did on this though!

beautiful job on the crib.   I like the Soss hinges on the side.  I had never used those before until my last build and they are slick. 

Steve

Thank you.It was pretty much all done with hand tools. The only pieces that saw sandpaper were the Afromosia raised panels. That wood is like sand. Cannot really be worked with edge tools unless you want to be sharpening them after each individual pass.Pretty much what I had to do when raising them.You can't see it on photos  but the tell tale marks of the hand plane are everywhere.They are really more tactile than visible.

I love Soss hinges and use them quite often. I was never too fond of seeing hinge knuckles or barrels when things are closed. Rather have nice clean lines uninterrupted by hardware. They are actually the only metal present in the whole crib. Not even a single screw in it. Its all put together with pinned dovetail  tenons and even the door latches are an internal barrel bolt made out of wood. The mattress panel is also adjustable all the way down to bottom rail by a self locking dovetail cleat ( almost like a French cleat) The whole thing comes apart into four flat pieces by removing the wood pins at the dovetailed tenons.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

formariz
11 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

LOL:lol:. I was curious so just did a little research. First season was in 1989. Crib was made in 1988.

• Like 1

Razorback

Love those shows, and always chuckle when he tells how to get “measured drawrings”.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Outstanding, what a great story on the crib. 

Glenn

stevasaurus

Actually the show to watch is "The Wainwright Shop" with Roy Underwood.  He is the one that always used hand tools and no electricity.  :occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 1

formariz
38 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Actually the show to watch is "The Wainwright Shop" with Roy Underwood.  He is the one that always used hand tools and no electricity.  :occasion-xmas:

LOL. You mean "The Woodwright's Shop" with Roy Underhill. Are you sipping again?:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

No Cas...I was just to busy to go back and search.  If you have ever watched his show, sometimes they would do a close up of what he was doing, but it would also be a close up of his hands.  They always looked like they had been through heck...all nicked up with cuts and chipped nails and old scars.  No rubber gloves on this guy.  My kind of hands.  :occasion-xmas:

formariz
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

No Cas...I was just to busy to go back and search.  If you have ever watched his show, sometimes they would do a close up of what he was doing, but it would also be a close up of his hands.  They always looked like they had been through heck...all nicked up with cuts and chipped nails and old scars.  No rubber gloves on this guy.  My kind of hands.  :occasion-xmas:

LOL. Yeah, the hands definitely take a beating. You cant wear gloves when you do this type of work. Feeling has a lot to do with it. Sometimes what your eye cannot see, your hand will.

Speaking of hands, I was never one to worry about any of effects that aging takes on us, such as wrinkles, gray hair and the ever showing up of new pains and so on. However in the last couple of months something started that just has me a little depressed. A swelling started on the joint in my right index finger and I was told that it is the beginning of arthritis. My father has his finger joints all like that and that was something that I was always concerned with. So now it looks like it starts for me. This is something that I am really not dealing well with but it seems inevitable.

Sarge

I've spent a lifetime beating my hands into a pulp of sorts - now living with the results of heavy arthritis, tendon damage and joints that are eroding away in a big hurry. Too many years working with metal, turning wrenches, welding and working with vibrating tools - especially being a Laborer. Last fall, a job I was working on in the extreme cold snaps we were having cost me my left hand's ability to fully close into a fist and the right hand has a fair amount of damage that is still trying to heal from frostbite and the effects of Raynaud's. A lot of the older generation will suffer the most from tools that were not designed with ergonomics in mind - such as the older style jackhammers and other power tools. Today's tools are much lighter and have much better ergonomics in their handles and controls - that truly does make a difference in the long run. A lot of us work on things with a lot of drive to get the job done and don't take any breaks to avoid the damage that can be caused by repetitious movements - carpal tunnel syndrome is becoming more and more common. Take some time and think of ways to move around differently and change your approach to the work to avoid repeating the same cycle of movements for long periods. You will find there is less pain, a lot less fatigue and avoid long-term damage. Even in the Trades, it is becoming a more common approach to protect the worker's health by educating workers to avoid repetitive movements. Just switch things up from a different direction, take a different angle and even switch hands as often as possible - it will make a difference.

Speaking of that - I need to raise my welding table by 10"-12" to stop bending over at the waist constantly when working on things.

Sarge

formariz
22 minutes ago, Sarge said:

A lot of us work on things with a lot of drive to get the job done and don't take any breaks to avoid the damage that can be caused by repetitious movements - carpal tunnel syndrome is becoming more and more common

Ahhhh. Carpal tunnel. There is another one that has been afflicting me for a long time on both hands. I cannot even sleep properly anymore, waking up every half hour with numb hands. Been resisting taking care of it but it will have to be soon. Humans are so smart, yet we are so stupid.If the car misfires we run to the mechanic right away in a panic. However we just don't take care of ourselves.

Sarge

It is funny how well we will take care of personal possessions, yet ignore our health. Don't let that carpal tunnel go for too long - there can be permanent damage to the nerves that cannot be repaired with the surgery. Nerve damage is really the worst - both of my hands have lost most of the sensitivity they had just a few years ago - now it is starting to seriously affect my ability to do things that used to be very easy for me. Lessons are always learned too late, the advice is often ignored as well since we think we are indestructible. Reality comes with age and wear - I'm only 54, but the surgeons say it is like working on someone that is 75 or older. To date, I have 7 joints in my hands that need to be replaced - that is going to cost some serious copays out of pocket. I should have turned in the injuries from last fall - now it is too late and that is going to come out of my pocket instead of Work Comp. In the end, I'd rather have to pay for it myself versus dealing with that rodeo ever again, no thanks. 

Sarge