Pullstart

Charger 12 Sunstrand leak

Pullstart

Frank barely looks like Frank.  It’s pretty much a Charger 12 right now but it’s getting a bath!

I have a drip that runs from the transmission forward onto the frame.  I assume it is coming from the motion control shaft, am I correct to assume it may be just that?

If so, how does the dash tower separate from the motion control?  Do I simply unbolt the dash stand and lift it straight up?

52744505-05F2-490A-984A-C368F4F8D122.jpeg

AA861E43-2EAB-4262-9565-90B2D21DB967.jpeg

pfrederi

To replace the motion control O rings i go ahead and split the tractor.  That gives you access to drive out the roll pin, then maybe have to fight to get the lever off and finally use your 12 pt socket to get the bolts holding it on to the pump housing.  The o rings sizes aer in the pinned post on Sudsrtrand O rings.  I have them if you want just give me your address I will mail you a pair.

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

To replace the motion control O rings i go ahead and split the tractor.  That gives you access to drive out the roll pin, then maybe have to fight to get the lever off and finally use your 12 pt socket to get the bolts holding it on to the pump housing.  The o rings sizes aer in the pinned post on Sudsrtrand O rings.  I have them if you want just give me your address I will mail you a pair.

When I pull the dash tower, will the plastic part of the motion control slide right up and out, or is there more to it that I cannot see?

I saw your gasket chart, there must be an inner and outer seal?  Thank you for the offer, I’d like to shake your hand for that, hopefully at the big show!

It seems there was a thread on a complete teardown of this trans, but I couldn’t find it last time I searched.

oldredrider

You don't need to pull the dash tower. By unbolting the transmission from the frame, you'll be separating the motion control from the transmission. Once you get that separated, you'll have easy access to the cam plate and associated seals and such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I should ad you do not need to disconnect the hydro hoses from the  lift valve there is enough slack just roll the rear end back and turn it slightly. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Paul, thanks again for your care package!  Thanks for the spares too!  The big o-ring is about 1/2 the thickness and the small one is rock hard.  Is wheel bearing grease sufficient for the slide assembly?

15D5C84D-4852-45F9-8063-2485EE01615D.jpeg

B767BD3B-D5B3-41CF-A159-4384D70AD07E.jpeg

0EF940FC-D20A-4184-8365-2D5605527FCC.jpeg

2CC2E72E-763C-4197-ADB0-D7267D1E21D8.jpeg

• Like 1

pfrederi

I do not lube my slider ...but I am not sure if I am correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

If you lube it - you run the risk of it running away even more than usual. The nylon cam is designed to lubricate itself - so no grease needed. 

Sarge

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

I believe I read that the transmission capacity is 2 qts.  Does that include the hydraulic system?  Also, this jug of Lucas oil stabilizer says it’s good for ATF as well.  Could I add a bit to the transmission too then?

pfrederi

All one system and if it is emptied out it needs 5 qts.  I do  not use snake oils so I can't can not comment on the Lucas stuff.  if i was going to blow the extra money i might go with Synthetic ATF.  All 5 of my Chargers work just fine on dead dinosaur ATF

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

the transmission capacity is 2 qts.

That would be correct for a six or eight speed.

• Thanks 1