Herder

Mower Rotary 48in spindle removal

Herder

What is the proper way to remove the belt pullies from the spindles?  I am dismantling a 48in rotary and saving the useable parts and before I go and destroy the pullies buy trying to pry or beat on them I thought I should ask for some advise.  Thanks.

JAinVA

Not sure which model deck so take this with a grain of salt.Remove the blade nut on the spindle and blade.Remove the pulley nut and grease fitting.Put the pulley nut  back on and engage all the threads.Support the deck leaving the spindle free to rotate  and drive the shaft south.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

daveoman1966

That old mower deck has the 'Double D' type spindles, with cast iron pulleys.  The cast pulleys will chip / break easily. So, I suggest :

Take the pulley bolt out and see if the pulley easily lifts off with GENTLE prying under it.  If that doesn' t work......

1) back off the pulley bolt 2 turns...but not all the way out.  2)drive a wooden wedge between the cast pulley on 2 or 3 sides around it.  

3) put a ball peen hammer on the bolt and, 4) whack the ball peen with a BFH, driving the shaft down just enough to free the pulley.  With it loose, the pulley shuold lift off .   

DD TALL 003.JPG

DD TALL 002.JPG

• Thanks 1

JoeM

I have not had to much trouble with the double D type and or the keyed ones. If they are really stuck, chances are they are the tapered ones.

Like Daveoman said you can drive them out but there is a bit of caution doing so. I have busted the bottom snap ring area out of a housing because the bottom bearing was stuck to the shaft, or I gave it one hit to many and tried to drive the shaft out of the housing with the bearing. I think if you can loosen the bolts a hair and wedge under the pulley that may help.

Heating the center of the pulley is always helpful.

One thing to remember the spindle assy. is worth way more than the pulley.

A couple years ago I messed around with a clamp arrangement trying to pull the pulley off undamaged. It was a fail but the theory seemed good. Maybe some of the other guys can give some ideas. ??

Looking at these old pics I may have another idea. Stay tuned!

I did stop at the barn today and put a steering gear puller on the grove of that old spindle and it pulled right off.
I looked at one of the newer pulley and looked at taping the holes 5/16 to use as puller holes. There is about 3/16 of metal just wonder if that will hold the up to the pull?

1569398574_DeckPulleyPullerTryandFail1.jpg.adb21449f91183fd96906c132361cba2.jpg2082500381_DeckPulleyPullerTryandFail4.jpg.c639210623a6b64a366521971c57f36a.jpg

1417678816_GearpulleronWhDeckPulley.jpg.423e11ed864df1cecf7a5ceb742d39e0.jpg115335236_WheelHorseDeckPulleyTapedHoles.jpg.c7a5ecdd358b3074fb01702450d0abc5.jpg

Edited by OILUJ52
  • Thanks 1