Ed Kennell

Horses vs Deere

The Tuul Crib

I think I know what I would choose and it 

wouldn’t be gre .... well! Glad to see this spirit is alive still in this country. Thanx for 

sharing those pictures with us !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Ed,

You are fortunate to have working farms next to you.You could be looking at a sprawling subdivision.Quite a contrast in methods.Thanks for the images.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Ed,

You are fortunate to have working farms next to you.You could be looking at a sprawling subdivision.Quite a contrast in methods.Thanks for the images.

:text-yeahthat:

Quite true. I'd much rather watch Machinery working whether it's pulled by a horse or a wrong colored tractor than to see myself surrounded by other houses...

We do appreciate the pics you take.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

My father took over the family farm when

he was thirteen years old .The total operation. He had an old thrashing machine that he used as well as picking corn by hand!  Hard but great life. I just wish he could be around to enjoy these tractors with me! 

• Heart 3

Ed Kennell
55 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Ed,

You are fortunate to have working farms next to you.

When I bought my lot in 1967 the contractor left a 30' right of way between me my lot and his lot. After building on all the lots along the township road, he planned to put a street beside me and develop the farm behind me.    But, when he went to buy additional lots, the farmer doubled the price and he refused to buy any more lots.    This was my first good fortune.

I watched and became very good friends with the farmer that leased the farm and worked it for the 50+ years I have lived here.

When the farm went up for sale 18 months age, I got lucky a second time when the Amish farmer out bid the developers.   It is almost a given that it will never be developed now.

The farm to my right has been leased and farmed by a very large corporation from Lancaster County  for the past 30 years.  

I love to watch the horses work, but I am also amazed at the efficiency of the Corporate farmers crew that brings their large equipment over 40 miles to work these farms.

They can easily plant or harvest an acre of corn or soybeans in less than 5 minutes with their large GPS/computer controlled equipment.

Yes Jim, I am very thankful to be able to see these sights from my kitchen window.

IMG_6005.JPG.eaa149523aa799cfd3ddde052b470df6.JPG

This is my good friend that worked the farm over 50 years.

IMG_1534.thumb.JPG.8e625c9e872e9e90a9b59e64b04096db.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ZXT

Being in Texas, I've never had the pleasure of watching the Amish farm. I live in town for now, which has been a very small town up until very recently, so all of the farms are unfortunately going away to become housing developments. My grandmother, who lives a little further out, is having houses spring up here and there. I don't think it'll be long until most everything around her will be houses. At 92 she knows it is coming, but hopefully she won't have to see it happen. She knows good and well that I will do everything in my power to keep her place from becoming a sub-division. 

I really wish the world would stop growing.

• Sad 1

Dakota8338

When we moved where we presently live in the mid 70's it was very rural, and the kids were able to enjoy that life growing up, but unfortunately urban sprawl has over flowed onto our little community and we have been the fastest growing community in the state something like ten years running.  Property west of us probably will not be developed anytime soon, but I am afraid it only going to be a very short time until the property east of us is developed.  It is sad to see farm, pasture & hay meadows began producing housing developments just like a bunch of mushrooms & toadstools!

formariz

I would really love to also have those views from my window, specially the one at the left. I see Mrs. Fisher put Bob to work again.:ychain:

ebinmaine

I don't remember the exact statistic but something like 90% of Americans lives within 100 miles of a major body of water.

Trina and I would be the ones to move 200 miles away from there and find a 100 acre forest with a nice small stream.

• Like 1