19738hp4spd

Drive belt not disengaging.

19738hp4spd

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to this site and the Wheel Horse addiction. I recently pick up a 1973 8hp 4 spd from the original owner with all the original manuals and such. The thing runs like a dream and is beautiful shape. When I test drove it drove fine. But now the clutch is not disengaging when I’m trying to shift the machine I tried to adjust the peddle and that didn’t work. As I’ve read on this site that it wouldn’t work. I’ve also gained some knowledge on how the “clutch” works with the idler pulley and belt guard to produce slack on the belt. The only thing I can see that doesn’t match the owners manual is that the belt guard is missing the bottom adjustment tab by the pto pulley.  The top of the belt “the flat side” is showing excessive wear from the few days I’ve ran it. When I got the machine the belt looked new and is the correct size. I have a new belt I’m picking up tomorrow just to be sure but I don’t want to put it on and smoke it up when the under lying issue still remains. 

daveoman1966

The Wheelhorese OEM belt is # 7473 for that 1973 tractor...8hp 4sp.  Belt is 82" long x 5/8" width.  If you use an aftermarket belt, that MAY be the whole problem.  Aftermarket belts are not geometrically identical to OEM nor...IMHO....are they of the same quality. 

You have the right Idler pulley and return spring in place...working correctly?

Image?arik=dT3IVkQGAhCRF9guJWtb&arib=TO&arim=ZAWQNIee4mKAg_9meCbR6w2&aria=3h8dIxgdtiAlySug17DTWQ2&ariz=3&ariv=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.psep1.biz%2Farinet.asp%3Faribrand%3DTO 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Like Dave states above, make sure the idler pulley is free and working properly.    I have found the roll pin that locks the clutch lever (6-28) to the cross shaft sheared in several tractors. If this pin is sheared off, the idler pulley will not engage and disengage properly.     Scribe a line across the lever and end of the shaft to determine if the lever is slipping on the shaft.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I think you have a damage belt guard or possibly the wrong guard on it. Pics would be helpful. I use aftermarket belts on all my tractors both gear and hydro's and never an issue.

• Like 2

19738hp4spd
8 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

The Wheelhorese OEM belt is # 7473 for that 1973 tractor...8hp 4sp.  Belt is 82" long x 5/8" width.  If you use an aftermarket belt, that MAY be the whole problem.  Aftermarket belts are not geometrically identical to OEM nor...IMHO....are they of the same quality. 

You have the right Idler pulley and return spring in place...working correctly?

Image?arik=dT3IVkQGAhCRF9guJWtb&arib=TO&arim=ZAWQNIee4mKAg_9meCbR6w2&aria=3h8dIxgdtiAlySug17DTWQ2&ariz=3&ariv=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.psep1.biz%2Farinet.asp%3Faribrand%3DTO 

Thanks I looked up the pulley and it seems to be the right size just by taking rough measurements. But I’m not sure about the rerun spring. Or how I can check that. 

rmaynard

Another thing. Shifting is only done with the tractor fully stopped and clutch depressed. There is no shifting "on the fly". This transmission does not have syncronizers.

• Like 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, 19738hp4spd said:

I have a new belt I’m picking up tomorrow just to be sure

Be sure to get a fabric wrapped belt. I have had good results with the "Kevlar" belts from Tractor Supply.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:     I never had a problem with TSC belts.     And when the length is a question, I buy three different lengths and return the two that didn't fit.    Just keep the belts and the sleeve clean.

• Like 1

pfrederi

You need that bottom tab to be able to shift. If you can't weld the tab back on the bottom of the guard you could easily make a wire guide.  WH used them on several models.  These pics should give you an idea of what you need to make

IMG_0043.JPG

InkedIMG_2276_LI.jpg

KohlerM12009.JPG

• Like 3

19738hp4spd
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

You need that bottom tab to be able to shift. If you can't weld the tab back on the bottom of the guard you could easily make a wire guide.  WH used them on several models.  These pics should give you an idea of what you need to make

IMG_0043.JPG

InkedIMG_2276_LI.jpg

KohlerM12009.JPG

Thanks that’s super helpful. There isn’t a bottom tab and it doesn’t look like there was ever one but I can definitely rig something up with some wire. I’ll send some pick tomorrow. 

19738hp4spd

What function does that bottom tab play in providing slack on the belt ?

Ed Kennell

It helps support the weight of the loose belt and if adjusted correctly will prevent the belt from making contact with the engine drive pulley.     The bottom flange on the belt guard also serves this function.

• Like 2

19738hp4spd

Thanks I’m going to try and fab one up I just wanted to know the function so I can ensure it preforms it. 

Ed Kennell

We are assuming the idler/tensioner pulley is fully disengaging the belt and allowing it to go slack.    If the belt is not loose, the belt guard and the support wire will not keep it from contacting the engine pulley and the belt will keep rotating.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
On 4/20/2019 at 6:46 AM, Ed Kennell said:

Like Dave states above, make sure the idler pulley is free and working properly.    I have found the roll pin that locks the clutch lever (6-28) to the cross shaft sheared in several tractors. If this pin is sheared off, the idler pulley will not engage and disengage properly.     Scribe a line across the lever and end of the shaft to determine if the lever is slipping on the shaft.

:text-yeahthat:

19738hp4spd

Thanks for everyones input I have an update to my problem. I finally got a chance to get back to horse today. It fired right up like normal and the thing went right into gear and mowed the entire yard no issues. I fabricated the the bottom belt guide but didn’t have to put it on. The top of the drive belt is still pretty chewed up no clue why. but I’m going to wait to install the new one. 

• Confused 1

19738hp4spd

So the second mower with the new horse got about 30mins in and the dang belt wouldn’t disengage again. I turned the machine off and then back on and it worked. Thanks again for everyones help. Everything looks good that I can see the idler pulley is free all the pins are good (6-38) I found a new belt guard on eBay that is coming in on Friday maybe that will help. And picked up a few different size belts. Would the spring 6-32 affect this function?  A real rookie question when I read the owners manual I interpreted that the drive belt goes on top of the tab on the belt guard that is forward of the idler pulley is that correct?

19738hp4spd

FDFF0F07-10DC-443D-94A6-B1B93F7EB37E.jpeg

ET160

I am having a similar problem with my B80.  I have experimented with a variety of belts.  I think part of the problem may be that new belts are actually often 21/32" or wider, not 5/8" and do not fit down into the pulley completely.

19738hp4spd

Did you have any luck with a larger belt?

ET160

I've gone through several.  The Toro 7473 that is supposed to be right for the B80, grinds.  The best so far has been a NAPA B80; that disengages, but is jerky upon release.

I have ordered a bunch of different NOS belts to try on ebay.  I am running my 40 year old original belt now, which is ragged but still works.

19738hp4spd

Original nice. Mine was newish when I got it and it’s messed up so so I’m thinking I have something stupid wrong which is why I asked about the belt guard belt configuration. 

ET160

I tried three more belts today, with one working pretty well.  It disengages fine, but is a little jerky coming off.  It's acceptable.

The belt that works is 82.5" long and 5/8 wide, meant for a Scag mower.

From what I have observed, width is critical.  The belt that work okay is a little narrower than the others and sits lower in the pulley.