JamesPolinski

GT-14 with a sunstrand 90-2046 pump, new pump shaft seal still leaks! Need Help!

JamesPolinski

Hello all, i have a dilema. I have a 1970 wheel horse gt14 that i just swapped an untested rearend into, and it is strong in forward and reverse. But on the first drive the pump output shaft seal was leaking. So no problem went to motion industries and got 2 skf: 7475 seals. I cleaned the shaft of all burrs, and then i carefully beat the seal in. Well, after that it continued to leak from the inside if the seal. I thought maybe I installed it wrong, so I took it out, cleaned the shaft again and installed the second one, but it still leaks. the shaft has no play in it. The bearing is good and the surface of the shaft is clean from burrs. So my question is, is there maybe a relief valve stuck in it that would be causing it to leak out of the shaft seal? I want to get this tractor fixed so I can start on my second gt14 and put the tiller on one of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Excellent 1

gt14rider

Timkin / national  480821 seal for pump shaft, crosses to cr 7475,  one question how did you beat the sell in. Use some shellac on out side of seal, ATF  or 10 /30 what ever fluid you are using, on lip of seal, tap in seal with deep well socket.  Maybe a pic of shaft.  Just rebuild same pump

20190409_135046.jpg

• Excellent 1

rjg854

:WRS:  I hope you resolve your problem.

• Like 1

JamesPolinski

I used a socket that fit right on it and tapped it in. I actually used a little bit of engine assembly grease on the seal to put it on.

JamesPolinski

Ill work on getting some pictures

JamesPolinski

0416192227.jpg

0416192227a.jpg

0416192227b.jpg

0416192227c.jpg

JamesPolinski

I don't know if this helps much I didn't have time to take the pulley off, but as soon as I get it off, I will post more pictures.

gt14rider

James, go to manual section in this forum, down load sundstrand manual,  go to page 24  shows how to test pressure, also is fluid definently coming from rubber seal lip, or could it be coming seal to housing area.

Is it dripping out or under pressure 

20190418_105217.jpg

JamesPolinski

It is leaking from the rubber part of the seal. It is dripping down the housing.

gt14rider

Can you move shaft if you grab pulley, up ,down,  in, out,  were the seal rides the shaft is there a groove or rust, no sharp edges on shaft or around key way.

Try a different brand of seal maybe,  if you pull seal again measure shaft where seal rides, or try setting seal a little bit deeper on shaft, taking care not to go to deep,  hope this helps, if anyone else can think of something else I'm missing 

Edited by gt14rider

JamesPolinski

I've checked everything, no shaft play etc. i'm going to swap another pump on it and rebuild that one and see what happens than you for all of your input and information.

gt14rider

Let us know what you find and good luck, hope you can get it worked out.