Sign in to follow this  
MikeG

520-h motion lever

MikeG

Hello, the motion control lever on my 520-h is difficult to position when starting up the tractor. I have to move it slightly around the neutral position to get it to fire up.

It can take several times moving the lever slightly to hit the right spot and then the tractor starts up. Appreciate any advice on why it is so intermittent. The machine runs excellent otherwise and the shop I have used in the past cannot seem to fix this problem. Thanks. 

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

You did not supply us with a model number or year so can't look up parts. I don't know if all the 520-H's are the same 1988-1997.

Sounds like your shift linkage may be worn or loose at the neutral safety switch or the switch is mounted loosely or the switch is worn out.

1 of the pto switches and the neutral switch are required to get power to the starter.

Garry

buckrancher

1988-89 is different than 1990 -97

• Like 1

lynnmor

If you have the motion lever next to the steering wheel, remove both panels in the console.  There you can clean any and all linkage to see how it works.  Lubricate all linkage and contact points for the various parts that move.  Under the seat, clean and lubricate linkage with the exception of the cam tension bolt area.  The safety switch that is giving you problems is next to the steering column and that might be faulty.

I remove the seat and fender at the end of each mowing season to clean and lubricate.  Sometimes I remove the gas tank and clean under it, then paint any rusted areas. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

Here's the neutral safety switch (missing tang 1st pic) under the steering wheel 90-97...

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2141.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

MikeG

Thanks guys for the responses. I will follow your suggestions and appreciate the input , photos etc...I purchased this model 22 years ago back in “97” as used with about 150 hours on it. Need to do a little detective work on the actual year this 520 was built. Great reliable tractor for working around my property.  I will follow up with a post on my progress with the motion lever. Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

MikeG

Hi, again thanks for your suggestions. I cleaned up the linkage area and replaced the neutral switch. Looked in the parking  brake , replaced that switch too and started right up. I will do a general tuneup and some light body work and good to go. Great forum!

MikeG

• Like 1