Sign in to follow this  
perry

a new HY2 pump discovery

perry

kelly was over last saturday and noticed a hydro pump i have in a wards parts tractor i just picked up. i pulled the pump out and its the exact pump style used on the wheel horse HY2 lift setup. the only thing that might be different is the control rod looks shorter on the wards pump. someone give me a measurement and i can confirm the length of the rod. maybe the rod can be changed or just be thread tapped for a knob :drool: . ...... :omg:

so keep a look out in your area for these old late 60's & 70's style hydro lift gilson/wards tractors.

wardshydro001.jpg

wardshydro002.jpg

wardshydro005.jpg

wardshydro003.jpg

gilson / wards tractor

a6438.jpg

ol550

Hang in there perry, before long you will find a Bolens with the same setup too. :omg:

Rollerman

Nice find Perry!

The Heim Warner hydraulic lift pumps were used in a number of garden tractors.

Gilson & Bolens are already mentioned but Cub, Power King, JD, Struck & more that I can't remember or don't know about.

Wheel Horse put Heim Warner hyd lifts in the 953/1054 large frame tractors.

"It's not an HY2 or HY3 in a large frame...just the standard HYD lift for them"

The HY2 is the hyd lift Wheel Horse designed for the 61/62 tractors.....had a little differant bell crank setup & a box to relocate the ignition componets to the side of the dash.

The HY3 fit the 63 & most 64 tractors (Does not fit 604,654,&704) & uses a differant bellcrank & the ignition switch is moved to the side of the tower to a hole thats already punched into the side of the tower.

The two don't really interchange between the above years mentioned without swaping parts around.

Just a little education lesson on the Heim Warner pumps, HY2 & HY3 designations. :omg:

• Like 1

perry

thanks stephen, i have never seen a wheel horse HY kit in person.

kelly is the one that notice that they are simulair :omg: . i never would have known .

kpinnc

Nice find Perry!

If you look at the face of the pump, where the shaft comes out, you'll notice there were actually provisions to make the input shaft in one of TWO places. Reason being? They were made for use with ANY engine type, regardless of rotation. My point is that though your's looks to be in the correct hole from the pics, I can't tell for sure.

If you look closely at the hole the input shaft comes out of, there will be a small arrow cast into the case indicating the direction of rotation. Be sure that it matches up with whatever you plan to use it on. I assure you, it will not work well if you turn it the wrong way. I have used two of these- One was CW, and the other set for CCW. Aside from a trip to the machine shop, this can not be changed.

Just ask me how I know this.... :omg:

Kevin

perry

this one spins CCW.

TT

Just a little education lesson on the Heim Warner pumps, HY2 & HY3 designations. :drool:

Ummmmmm, Stephen.... it's Hein-Werner, not Heim Warner. :omg:

Rollerman

Ummmmmm, Stephen.... it's Hein-Werner, not Heim Warner.

Thank you Terry....I was close. :omg:

Duff

Heim Warner - wasn't that old man Warner's boy from over by East Podunk? :drool:

Duff :drool:

linen beige

TT beat me to it.

This one looks like a hybrid between the HY-2 and the pump for the 1054/1054A.

The HY-2 didn't have the hole in the side of the reservoir. I would guess that this one also has the newer type control handle return spring inside as well.

It's hard to say how many variations of this basic pump were produced for all the different tractors that used them.

In keeping with what Kevin said about rotation, the Hein-Werner model number for the HY-2 was A4CCWH. I assume the CC was for counter clockwise. I wonder what the WH stood for? :drool:

perry

looks just like this one here in TT's HY2 pic.

HY-2lift.jpg

linen beige

looks just like this one here in TT's HY2 pic.

HY-2lift.jpg

I suspect the parts are fully interchangable and very few folks would ever notice, but look at TT's a bit closer.

The HY-2 and HY-3 used reservoir WH part # 4843. The 1054 used WH part #4157.

The 4157 has a hole in the side of the reservoir, threaded for a half inch bolt. I guess it was added to make it easier to add fluid. The fill hole in the other style is a bit smaller (3/8). You can't see it in the pic of TT's pump because it's hidden by a hose, but it's on the main pump body casting, just below the hose toward the front of the pic. The plug on the top of the pump body is an air/pressure bleed. Don't open this and cycle the control handle unless you want to be sprayed with fluid. Guess how I know.

The WH in your modle # is a head scratcher.

• Like 1