Sign in to follow this  
tvr383

18 automatic questions.

tvr383

Hi all,

I just found this forum and it seems I could find some help about wheelhorses.Lucky me I am offered for free a wheelhorse that from what I can see is a 1970s 18 automatic tractor.I cannot be sure of the year but 18 automatic is very lisible on it.It runs and doesn't seem to be in too bad shape at least at the level of its external looks.Apparently its missing one hydraulic cylinder in the front wich I understand is meant as the equivalent of the three point in the rear to move up or down some implements.I live in snow country and thinking about using it with a front mounted snowblower.I actually use a honda 11hp 32 inches snowblower but darn tired pushing it uphill in my driveway!Now I wonder if the 18 auto could be a better tool?I should get a set of chains for it at the same price :omg: that should help climbing up....Now I'd be pleased to hear this machine offering a kind of a locking or blocking differential for better traction...is it does anybody knows here?At level of power this is a 18 HP engine isn't it?Enough power? What kind of snowblower should fit onto it?Size of it?Anybody can tell me the weight of the 18 auto.?There is some loose to feel on the steering...enough to suggest some worned off gearings maybe....rare parts there?

Anybody had experience with a similar model with a snowblower to tell me what range of capacity we are talking about here?

I am very interested into this project but need to estimate what kind of money,effort,and parts researching I'll need to put in bfore accepting the tractor.

thanks,

Ron.

pond195520032003

Hi Ron, and :( your 18 automatic is a 1973 and is the first year for these tractors :omg: in 1974 they were called the D series! your tractor will have plenty of power to use a snow blower or a 54" snow blade :drool: i have a 74 D-200 and my brother also has a 74 D-200! also a 73 18 automatic, a D-180 parts tractor, and 2 parted out D-160's :drool:

Rollerman

Tvr...welcome to the site.

Your 18Auto would be a 1973.

There should be a lift cylinder below the tractor for the mid lift & this is what you would use for a front mounted snowplow or snowblower.

There should be another lift cylinder under the seat that would raise/lower the 3PH in back.

I never used a D with a snowblowr but Wheel Horse did offer one for them.

The 18HP Kohler has plenty of power & think the tractor would handle a snow blower fine.

18Auto's & there post 73 cousins the D series "74 on" all carry most of there weight on the front wheels...especially with a snowblower in front.

No rear locking diff was ever offered on that type of trans...your best bet is weighted rear tires with tire chains added for best traction.

The steering on these can get pretty sloppy, just crawl under the tractor & have a look.

There's a bell crank under there that becomes worn & normally adds a lot of slop.

The bolts on the axle pin become loose too...replaceing those & keeping them tight will help.

As far as what it's going to cost? & how much effort it will take...I can't answer that.

Best thing would be to start watching ebay, Craigslist, & call your local dealer for parts , & implements then decide for yourself.

These are nice sturdy tractor, but have been out of production for 30+ years & are going to take a little effort to get one & keep it running cherry...thats the fun part to me though. :omg: