Honda4828

520h rear end.

Honda4828

Hello all. 

I have a 1992 toro 520h that I recently acquired(bought a 1991 as well :)). I serviced the transmission and changed engine oil etc. I put new AG 24x12-12 tires on the back. When I put the wheels back on I noticed the left rear wheel hub was just a touch wobbly. I tightened the two set bolts. 

I mowed some with it yesterday for the first time and when I turn sharp the left rear wheel doesn’t seem to spin freely. It kind of drags and jerks for lack of better words. Is this normal? Thanks in advance! 

lynnmor

The hub and axle can be damaged when they come loose, so check tightness regularly.   But that isn't your problem, you might just be seeing the results of the aggressive tires or there is an internal transmission problem.

• Like 1

Honda4828

You know that’s kind of what I was thinking, the tires being agressive causing it. I did use it when it had turf tires and didn’t notice any of this.  

I did jack the rear end up and the hub seemed so slightly loose again. So I guess I will tighten those bolts again. 

midpack
13 minutes ago, Honda4828 said:

I did jack the rear end up and the hub seemed so slightly loose again. So I guess I will tighten those bolts again. 

Do the bolts have nuts to lock them in place once they've been tightened?

JoeM

It's a good chance you need to replace the hub. If they (loose hubs)  are not caught in time, they will wear and become sloppy. The set screws will not fix a worn hub. A good fitting hub will not slide easy by hand. A new key is necessary too. I have in the past had some wear on the axle as well. That is another issue itself. Most of the time a replacement hub cures the issue.

Honda4828
7 minutes ago, midpack said:

Do the bolts have nuts to lock them in place once they've been tightened?

Yes they do. 

Honda4828
7 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

It's a good chance you need to replace the hub. If they (loose hubs)  are not caught in time, they will wear and become sloppy. The set screws will not fix a worn hub. A good fitting hub will not slide easy by hand. A new key is necessary too. I have in the past had some wear on the axle as well. That is another issue itself. Most of the time a replacement hub cures the issue.

Ok will pull when I get home. Best place to purchase a new hub? 

JoeM

On site vendors may have them 1 1/8 axle or evil bay 

roadapples

Also those locking bolts need to be torqued to 28-32 ft lbs. You can hardly do that with a 3" long wrench....

Honda4828

I will add a few times when I turned real hard the left rear wheel would stop and scuff the grass.  

Honda4828

Ok so I have an update. 

The lurching was caused by the tire lugs hitting the deck wheel adjustment.  

I pulled the hub off. The keyway on the axle looks good. The key looked beat and the hub is daamaged on the inside. So I need to order a new hub and woodruff key. Two questions;

1-how do I find the site sponsors?

2- how do I properly measure for a new woodruff key or do I even need to?  I do have calipers. 

JoeM

The vendors are located under the classified section on the home page, A-Z tractor might have just what you need as far as the hub. E Bay or Parts Tree is another choice. I would change the set screws in the hub with new, (part #20), as cheep insurance. Key is part #21. Hub is #18.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/41-20oe03-520-h-toro-520-h-garden-tractor-sn-2000001-2999999-1992/wheel-and-tires/

WH520Hub1992.JPG.d7a74e04fd03842a0aa41cc5c2fad040.JPG

Honda4828
On 4/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, OILUJ52 said:

The vendors are located under the classified section on the home page, A-Z tractor might have just what you need as far as the hub. E Bay or Parts Tree is another choice. I would change the set screws in the hub with new, (part #20), as cheep insurance. Key is part #21. Hub is #18.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/41-20oe03-520-h-toro-520-h-garden-tractor-sn-2000001-2999999-1992/wheel-and-tires/

WH520Hub1992.JPG.d7a74e04fd03842a0aa41cc5c2fad040.JPG

Thanks for this. Just ordered a used hub and new key from A-Z. Great guy to deal with. 

• Like 2