Mudrig150

My little burns

Mudrig150

So I spotted this little guy while driving down the street one day in winter. It was quarter of a mile from our farm and rotting away under a shed in the woods. The shed was collapsing, and the roof and the mud had just about swallowed this thing whole.
I asked the neighbour who had the tractor about it, and he said that if I wanted it, to just come take it. That made me happy!
We went down almost 5 or 6 months later, and using my brother's quad, we wrestled it free from its grave 6 inches deep in the mud and brought it home on a trailer on another quad. I was ecstatic. My neighbour stopped by and thanked me for getting it out of the way. We said what it's been sitting since around 2004, so it sat for 14 years.
This thing was ROUGH. The original briggs was long gone, replaced with a junk wisconsin which was missing everything to run. That swap was killed so early that the engine wasn't even bolted in. The jackshaft was stuck, the belt was stuck to it, the shifter was good, but the detents are bad, the throttle and choke cables are frozen, the steering is good, and the front tires were flat. The rears would've been flat, but they are so old and stiff that the tubes are shrunken inside the tire and they hold up the whole tractor plus my 135-ish pounds. The chains were stuck to the tires, too.

First thing I did was put it outside, where I pulled a ton of parts off, and then winter hit and water in the transmission froze. Oops. 
Luckily the tractor was on a stand at a 45 degree angle so it saved the gears from getting ice around them, and it only froze the differential.
We rolled (well, dragged) it inside and I attempted to remove the transmission to no avail. They used these stupid rounded bolts and the things were stripped. It was awful. 
I found a Kohler K161 in rough shape, tried putting that in, screwed up all my drilled holes, figured out that the spark plug hole was stripped, and then realized we had a briggs the whole time.

And now it sits, briggs engine laying on the frame with no spark. Soon...

20190219-161250.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Achto
Posted (edited)

Cool looking tractor!! Do you have any better picture of the engine? That air cleaner looks a lot like one for a Kohler.

Edited by Achto

Mudrig150

This is a picture with the kohler. I need to upload the briggs picture.

• Like 1

Mudrig150

I have it apart to replace the coil and to fix a few things. I need to fix the carb linkages.

20190406-222044.jpg

• Like 2

Stepney

Ah, so another Burns surfaces I'll have to get photos of my two. Nice rescuing it! They are pretty uncommon now. 

• Like 1

Mudrig150
Posted (edited)

Yep, they are. Mine has been owned by my neighbor's family since it was new in around 1963. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible, but it's been painted orange, black, white, and a bit of blue. It's supposed to be green. I'll be painting it Bronze.

Let's compare our Burns, I think mine will be worse.

Edited by Mudrig150
  • Confused 1

Mudrig150
Posted (edited)

So it's been a while but I took the briggs and tried to run it. No compression. Pulled the head and the intake valve is leaking. The whole valve, inside and out is filled with carbon. The carbon is even in the intake passage and its scratched the valve seat enough to not seal. Happy to see I still have spark, though. It's been sitting but it seems to not have any oil leaks or anything. Good. Guess I need to lap the valves, and get it back together.

What I'm not happy to see is the big freeze this thing had snapped off one of the axle housing bolts in the case and not it's leaking where the axle bolts to the case. Time to chop the thing out and swap it.

So far I think mine is a 1963 model, it has a really low serial number. Only 1329. Let's see them others, @Stepney

Edited by Mudrig150

Stepney

I'll see about digging up some photos. My 1959 has no fenders on it and a wider stance, with a totally different body design. The '66 is a Gilson redesign, called a C-10. Otherwise it's the same as a Burns, they just added lights. The S/N on the '59 is 00578. Only going by '59 as that is the date on the engine, and the year the old timer I got it from claimed. It has been repainted red/white, bur like yours, was originally a metallic green and white. Gilson is of course orange/white, and has since been repowered with a 1932 Hercules engine. 

Mudrig150
Posted (edited)

But is 00578 the serial number on the engine or tractor? Burns have a 4 digit serial number.

Mine is 1329.

Edited by Mudrig150