Sign in to follow this  
Jman6

Turning with mower deck

Jman6

Ok I have a 1990 312-8 with a stock deck, do not have the deck # it is at home and I am at work. I do know that my entire setup was bought at the local toro dealer here before he went out of business about 15 years ago. My question is, whenever I make a left hand turn the mower deck catches the front tire and I am worried that this will screw up my deck, spindles or something else that I am forgetting. :omg:

Anyone else had this problem?

Jman

C-Series14

Never had that problem myself. Has your deck ever been removed? Is this the first time doing it (hitting tire)?

Jman6

well to be honest, I bought it used and fixed it up, did not adjust the mower deck. It was on it when I bought it last season. Now that I have the deck off and was using the snowblower I want to put the deck back on but want to see if I just need to adjust some setting on the mower deck so that it does not catch.

Thanks, appreciate the quesitons and the info.

Jman

C-Series14

I was curious if the deck was off cause it can be put on where it is too far forward. The cross bar on the deck that goes in the mid attach-a-matic has a "V" shaped piece that has to straddle the small rod under the tractor in between the mid attach-a-matic side plates. I have seen this "V" be positioned behind that small rod and the deck still will work...I have also seen that rod upside down AND the deck carrier side plates upside down and the deck still work! :drool: I have tore my deck apart several times and I remove it probably once every couple weeks to clean it out so believe me, I got the deck figured out! :omg:

Brian1045

I've had decks that if the front of the deck

was adjusted to high and the back was to low...it made the whole unit shift forward to far and hit my tires.

Pull back on the deck and see if you can get it to go back more toward the rear wheels and adjust accordingly.

wh500special

Given his track record with C-style tractors, Mike is probably spot on with his "V" diagnosis. But in the off chance he's not, I offer this:

Judging by your signature line I'd guess that you have the 37" side discharge deck since you also have a bagger. It has two blades (almost everything else for your tractor has three) that are mounted sort of diagonally with the left being slightly further forward than the right.

because of this the deck WILL hit the left front tire IF you have the standard 8" wheel/tire/spindle package. Check your tire size, if you have 8" wheels you're going to need to find a set of appropriate 6-inchers and the longer (taller) spindles.

I suppose you *could* let some air out of the front tire :omg: ...

If you indeed have the 6-inchers you can almost bet that the "V" is out of place.

Good luck,

Steve

Rollerman

Jman is this one of the 37" wide twin blade decks...they set under the tractor at an angle?

Is one side closer to the related front tire than the other side?

Also...what size front tires are on your tractor?

A lot of the 310/312's came with the 37" side discharge deck & used a smaller front tirer on 6" rims to have turning clearance.

With the standard 8" front wheels & tires there would be a clearance issue.

"Edit.....Steve beat me to it :omg: "

Docwheelhorse

Hi--If you are running a two blade 37" side discharge deck you should be running 15x6x6 front tires with the longer spindles that Toro put on the 308, 310 and some 312 tractors that where equipped with that "special" deck. You won't screw anything up by running the big tires---yes it gets annoying when the tire catches and yes you have to back up most times to get it to relieve itself. If your not running the 37" twin blade and the tire is catching I don't know what to tell you.

Tony

C-Series14

Good ideas on the tire size with the 37" deck, guys. That is a possibility. I of course am use to the 48" decks, big and rectangular! :omg:

wheel horse 1045

why not take a few pictures showing us the problem and we might be able to spot whats wrong,show us were it hits and the point were the deck hooks up

kpinnc

Given his track record with C-style tractors, Mike is probably spot on with his "V" diagnosis. But in the off chance he's not, I offer this:

Judging by your signature line I'd guess that you have the 37" side discharge deck since you also have a bagger. It has two blades (almost everything else for your tractor has three) that are mounted sort of diagonally with the left being slightly further forward than the right.

because of this the deck WILL hit the left front tire IF you have the standard 8" wheel/tire/spindle package. Check your tire size, if you have 8" wheels you're going to need to find a set of appropriate 6-inchers and the longer (taller) spindles.

Ditto! My 310-8 has done this before as well. The "V" suggestion was also my fix, and I was using 6 inch wheels.

I will tell you though- Even with the V in proper position, the wheel will lightly rub the deck on a hard turn. With mine, it was just enough to rub a little paint off over time, but not enough to catch the deck.

Good luck!

Kevin

Jman6

ok, first.

:omg: for all the information!

I am running the 8 inch tires, they came stock. Will try and look up the spindle arms on of the many toro sites I have copied from this forum! :drool:

Also will try and find some 6 inch tires and wheels.

And I do have the 37" side discharger that sits at a angle.

I really do not have a problem with this, it is just annoying when I have to mow a set way all the time and can only make right hand turns. :drool:

In the meantime, I don't have to worry to much about this as I have to get the roto tiller set up first, damn wife wanted me to buy this thing just so she could make me roto till up a new garden, but she did not tell me this till it started to warm up!

Anyway, thanks again guys. Appreciate the help.

Jman

C-Series14

Ah-Ha!!!! :omg: Well, Others are more expertise at the 300 Series than me and they mentioned the tire size. It goes to show you, an old C-Series guru can learn something new!!! Actually, I knew about the different 6 and 8 inch setup but didn't know why what goes where!!! :drool: