dells68

Restoring part of my childhood

953 nut
5 hours ago, dells68 said:

It’s been in the family ever since.  The first pic is a pic of the only original decal we have left

7 hours ago, dells68 said:

We’re going to take it over today and let Emory drive it up the driveway for him to see.

Stand by for the tears to flow, a grandson making the delivery and a finishing touch that is a tribute to his dad;   :handgestures-thumbupright:    Too Much!       :text-bravo:

• Thanks 2

RandyLittrell

What an awesome job!! I don't know how I missed this thread, but thats a keeper for sure. I would like to find a a hydro model, I know they have a foot control. 

Randy

• Thanks 1

dells68

Well, long story long 😂, the tractor was a hit.  Dad was on the porch when we took it up to his house.  He sat there on the porch a while looking at it.  Emory asked him to go down and look at it.  One of the first things he noticed was the dealer sticker just like it was until he worked with Popaw until 1979.  He was blown away and just couldn’t believe it.  Great job Terry!  Perhaps the biggest compliment he gave was that he said it looked just like the day it was uncrated at the shop.  Well, I had talked him into going to a local car and tractor show with Emory and I, and he wanted to take the Ford.  When we got there and unloaded, he got on pretty quickly for us to drive a little ways up the street.  He got lots of comments and I watched him opening the hood to talk to a couple of guys about it.  When it came trophy time, it was Emory who took home best lawn and garden tractor and Dad was very proud of him as was I.  Here are a few pics from tonight.  Ended up being a really good way to spend an evening - we ate with some friends and Emory and my friend Joe’s son, Clay, had a ball!  Clay is holding Joe’s trophy for his Farmall H along with Emory and his trophy.  The young man in the wheel chair presenting Emory his trophy is a good friend and former student of mine who bravely is fighting a degenerative disease that is slowly robbing him of the ability to use his muscles - an inspiring young man!  Joe is the nut in the one pic with the big goatee besides myself!  If you can’t tell, I’m very proud of my family and friends - even our wives who managed to avoid being photographed for the night!  We really had a good night!

206B711A-EA35-4176-B97E-AD1054F52F53.jpeg

CC174476-3400-4EA6-8175-E0BA7F8A2C91.jpeg

2F21973B-7352-4A80-873C-DFD96B095010.jpeg

03B5B9EB-397F-40C1-92FA-2D903E81C258.jpeg

3FAC330C-A827-4C75-A339-7CCBB5536B9A.jpeg

29E852C5-15C9-4D3C-9948-2697829EB827.jpeg

6A1DA5AA-94A2-42BB-B495-74077A6118C9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 6

ebinmaine

From away up here in Maine it looks like you lead a good life.

Keep up the good work!!

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

rjg854

I can only imagine just how great a day it was for all of you :text-coolphotos:

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:

You are building some fine memories there.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

This was a great thread Dell, a cool restore, and even a better story!  I can totally relate to the history with a tractor like that as was the case with my Dad’s 875 that we restored back in 2015.  I grew up on that machine much like you did on the Ford.  It is fortuitous that your dad never junked that old tractor and that now (with your loving and expert touch) it looks better than it did even when brand new.  Well done my friend!

I love the fact that you can enjoy it with your dad and your son much like I’m blessed to do with my dad and my boys.  I never take that blessing for granted!

• Like 1
  • Heart 3