TonyToro

What are you guys using for Gear oil

TonyToro

I just did a complete service on the Raider 14. I found the previous owner used what appears and smells like Automatic transmission fluid in the rearend. Has anyone ever done this or come across it before? What is your choice of fluid for the rearend? Thank you.

953 nut

Being an 8 speed you should use 80-90 gear oil.   Be sure to jack up the front end while draining the old stuff.

• Like 1

TonyToro
17 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Being an 8 speed you should use 80-90 gear oil.   Be sure to jack up the front end while draining the old stuff.

Yes that’s what I used. I drained the ATF out, filled it with 80-90 valvoline and then drained and refilled. Have you ever heard anyone using ATF? Or a reason to use it?  Do you have a preference in brand or synthetic? 

• Like 1

roadapples

Trany fluid should have it good and clean...

• Like 2

JoeM

Really not to much to panic about, some modern transmission use ATF fluids for ease of shifting. Wear is not really a problem, ATF has good lubrication properties. The old WH gear cases are more suited to 80-90 and either synthetic or regular is fine. I am not sure you will be getting a bang for buck on the synthetic since it is a pretty low speed, low horse power unit and not much issues with heat.

• Like 4

Spareparts

I use 50 w in my pullers and add Justin Bros. friction modifier. It is in my C-121 now and it worked well this winter

plowing snow, just did my first lawn mowing yesterday for a test, no heat or noise, really very quiet. I am going to change it and check

for any oddities in it, then decide on what to use

• Like 1

JoeM

I have used both Coastal (Warren) and Conoco with good results. 80w-90

• Like 1

TonyToro
2 hours ago, Spareparts said:

I use 50 w in my pullers and add Justin Bros. friction modifier. It is in my C-121 now and it worked well this winter

plowing snow, just did my first lawn mowing yesterday for a test, no heat or noise, really very quiet. I am going to change it and check

That sounds like interesting stuff. Please let me(us) know what your thoughts are after you do a fluid change. Thanks.

TonyToro
35 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

I have used both Coastal (Warren) and Conoco with good results. 80w-90

I haven’t heard of those brands. I will look them up.

WVHillbilly520H
8 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

I haven’t heard of those brands. I will look them up.

Coastal used to be sold at AutoZone maybe even Advance Auto...SuperTech from Walmart is good as well.

• Like 2

TonyToro

Where do you purchase from? I saw Conoco is sold at fastenal.

TonyToro
Just now, WVHillbilly520H said:

Coastal used to be sold at AutoZone maybe even Advance Auto...SuperTech from Walmart is good as well.

I used the super tech in the Gt1100 and seamed to be good.

TonyToro
2 hours ago, Spareparts said:

Is this the company that you use? https://www.justicebrothers.com/index.html

ebinmaine
On 4/4/2019 at 9:38 PM, roadapples said:

Trany fluid should have it good and clean...

On 4/5/2019 at 5:42 AM, OILUJ52 said:

Really not to much to panic about, some modern transmission use ATF fluids for ease of shifting. Wear is not really a problem, ATF has good lubrication properties. The old WH gear cases are more suited to 80-90 and either synthetic or regular is fine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:text-yeahthat:

The above quotes summed up what I was thinking.

I use Walmart supertech like @WVHillbilly520H Jeff does.

As stated by Joe, there isn't a serious issue with heat anywhere in these manual transmissions.

The only place that you could have even the tiniest little bit of concern at all would be on the direct pressure points between the two gears that are getting the most work at any given time.

Really heavy load going uphill or something like that, pulling like you're going to do.

Those small points of high pressure will build up slight amounts of heat for short time periods but the rotating gear will just keep grabbing cooler oil and nothing that we do with these, for the most part, is long-term enough to heat the whole transmission.

I just don't think there would be a serious enough issue to have any concern whatsoever over what brand of gear oil to use.

Many of us have brand preferences with certain things in life.

With me it's ketchup. I won't use anything but Heinz.....:P

As far as my oils and other lubes are concerned I just check the specs to make sure that the manufacturer lists what I need it to be doing.

Some people would disagree and I respect their differences of opinion. I have always found that the frequency of change is far far far more important than the name brand of the oil that you use.

• Like 1

953 nut

The only potential problem I can see with ATF is the fact that your seals are single lip and the ATF would be more compatible with double lipped seals.

• Like 2

TonyToro
40 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:text-yeahthat:

With me it's ketchup. I won't use anything but Heinz.....:P

Heinz all the way! Lol with extra Mustard on my hotdogs!

ok now this post got me hungry! 

• Haha 2

TonyToro

Thank you guys for the information and suggestions. This is great help. I wasn’t sure if ATF was a pulling thing or a common substitution. I rarely stray from what the manufacture specs for fluids. I was going to put a synthetic in the rear box but thought it isn’t run very long and really isn’t turning the tires fast enough to make any difference.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Spareparts

Tony Toro, yes that is what I was refering to, an example we were running a mini hot rod and having diff problems with heat and

excessive wear on ring and pinion. With the frictin modifer we dropped the temp by 20* and doubled the diff life, also added to the steering box

of my 65 chevy C-30 and the steering was so much easier, put  some in the 4 speed and it shifted like new, maybe a little better than new.

• Like 1

pfrederi

The bull gear differential and some other gears are the same or very similar in 8 Speeds and Hydro gear transaxles of the period (Charger/Electro sisters of the raider ).

The hydros ran ATF ..mine still do 50 years later

My Lawn ranger has run 40w motor oil for 52 years with out a problem.

I wouldn't worry much about it.

Like some of said I think synthetics are over kill unless you are using the unit commercially.  I would rather spend the extra$$ on more frequent changes.  Most all tranny issues i have seen stemmed from water in the oil.... 

• Like 2