csvt99

New 314-8 owner. Tips?

gwest_ca

Good maintenance guide in the operator's manual. Do you have the model number and serial number so we send you to the correct info.

Garry

clueless

314-8 with a 42 inch deck with lees than 300 hr :thumbs:, should get you thru at least another 30 years, with a little maintenance :happy-partydance:.

• Like 5

csvt99

Model number is 73449 

Serial 9901070

I have the manuals for the tractor and deck from the original owner. He said it sat for the past few years but he would run it every now and then. 

JAinVA

Looks like you got a keeper.Grease the front end with the front tires off the ground. Change the oil every 20 hours and it should last many years.

• Like 2

csvt99

Ok great to know. Why do I need to lift the front end for greasing? I'm assuming I should just jack it enough to get the weight off?

gwest_ca
23 minutes ago, csvt99 said:

Model number is 73449 

Serial 9901070

I have the manuals for the tractor and deck from the original owner. He said it sat for the past few years but he would run it every now and then. 

This is what we have for the 1999 314-8

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=1999 314-8&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Garry

• Like 1

csvt99

Wow! Thank you so much. You guys are awesome!

JAinVA

If you grease the machine with weight on the wheels it doesn't always get to the areas where the most metal to metal pressure is.With the front end lifted slightly grease you will have a better chance to it get where it is needed rather than just squirting out.Hope this makes sense.If it doesn't do it anyway for longer life.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:       Looks like it has been well taken care of.        :woohoo:      Keep up he maintenance and you will be driving it forever!

• Like 2

csvt99

This makes perfect sense. Would have never known, but I will make sure to do it. It was definitely steering harder than my 877.

roadapples

If it steers hard after greasing, a little toe in may make a big difference...

• Like 1

csvt99
7 hours ago, roadapples said:

If it steers hard after greasing, a little toe in may make a big difference...

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked it last night after reading about the alignment in the manual. It looks okay but it definitely isn't toe in 1/4" or any at all. When it comes time to address it I will likely start a separate post if I have questions. Tinkering with this tractor is going to be fun!:D

• Like 1

953 nut

Low air pressure can make the steering hard too. The book calls for 8 PSI, but I run about 12 PSI on my 418-C and find it steers much better.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, csvt99 said:

Tinkering with this tractor is going to be fun

Hey welcome to the addiction !!!

Seriously... Nice machine there.

You'll find absolutely everything you need here on the site.

Awesome bunch of folks.

• Like 3

wildman

Very nice score

• Like 1

classiccat

congrats!  That machine looks well maintained!  Very nice find!

Edited by classiccat

peter lena

CSFT99 , how do the new guys always find the great  stuff ?  terrific find  , doing a baseline service , checking over everything and servicing it will establish what you have, not that is isin,t already like new , let me get my druel cup .  you might wipe down those painted surfaces with  WD40  , to feed the and enhance the paint. just doing that will make that horse , pop with shine. keep us in the loop , thanks pete

csvt99
18 minutes ago, peter lena said:

CSFT99 , how do the new guys always find the great  stuff ?  terrific find  , doing a baseline service , checking over everything and servicing it will establish what you have, not that is isin,t already like new , let me get my druel cup .  you might wipe down those painted surfaces with  WD40  , to feed the and enhance the paint. just doing that will make that horse , pop with shine. keep us in the loop , thanks pete

Pete, thank you for your words of affirmation. It means a lot to have my decision supported by fellow horse nuts:D. In my defense I have been looking for almost a year before pulling the trigger, so a little patience goes a long way. AND I learned how to mow on my grandfather's 1277 many moons ago. See attached picture for proof!

IMG_20190331_083941.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 3

Sarge

Sounds like you need to hunt around and find one of the 1277 models - they do pop up every so often but be prepared to have to find some replacement, original parts as most have been pretty abused. I have one here that was my first Horse, love it and you can't beat the classic long-hood look of that model. The mid to late 60's tractors are my favorite since they are the most simple to work on and don't have all the running boards and other covers in the way of swapping implements - not to mention the classic big tractor look and elegance. 

Lifting the front of the tractor by the frame, not the axle will go a long way to protect your front steering spindles and axle center pin. Those areas won't get greased with the tractor's weight on them - lift it carefully by the frame and do not use the cross tube on the bottom of a mule drive - or you'll bend it badly. 

Btw, welcome aboard.

Sarge

• Like 1

cschannuth
12 hours ago, csvt99 said:

This makes perfect sense. Would have never known, but I will make sure to do it. It was definitely steering harder than my 877.

I also have a very low hour 2000 314-8 it steers harder than any thing else that I have. I’ve tried everything and nothing seems to make much difference. Everything is tight and looks brand new. It’s a strange thing but I love it because it’s so tight and so quiet. 

• Like 2

oliver2-44
42 minutes ago, csvt99 said:

Pete, thank you for your words of affirmation. It means a lot to have my decision supported by fellow horse nuts:D. In my defense I have been looking for almost a year before pulling the trigger, so a little patience goes a long way. AND I learned how to mow on my grandfather's 1277 many moons ago. See attached picture for proof!

IMG_20190331_083941.jpg

Thats a great picture and I sure good memories

ericj

I bought a 99 314-8 brand new. Used it for everything for several years, till I started collecting more tractors and didn't need it anymore for active duty. I then retired it with 300 + hrs on it. It now sits in my enclosed trailer and comes out for shows. Good luck with your wheel horse prize.

eric j

LengerichKA88

That’s a good looking machine! Welcome to Red Square, this is the best site on the web! 

Lee1977

Check the tab on the back side of the axle pivot they are usually broken. Clean the under side of the deck at least one a year and protect it from rust or anytime you have it off during the summer. Some of us paint the under side of the deck others oil them, and some used other products. One thing I do is prime and paint the aluminum spindle housing as the acid in the grass eats away at the aluminum. I have a 42" deck I got with a tractor that the aluminum housings are almost eaten trough.

• Like 1