Stealth126

Solenoid?

Stealth126

Hey guys, I'm working on a Craftsman tractor for my dad. The battery has over 12 volts. At key turn it drops to 9 volts across the terminals. It is also getting 9 volts across the solenoid at key turn. Also measures 9 volts at the starter at key turn. Any idea what's happening to lose that voltage? First steps? Thanks in advance. Oh. And I need to mention the starter is not engaging at all.

ebinmaine

The two things that comes to mind first:

Make sure all of your grounds are good. This can be a real bear to do but must be done.

As to the battery voltage, resting voltage should be a minimum of 12.45 volts and cranking voltage should be around 10.5 or so but could vary a little bit.

Do you have another battery you can swap in that is a known good battery?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Load test the battery

• Excellent 1

Stealth126

I had another battery on it yesterday. I didn't measure the voltage, but it starts the Wheel Horse every time. Same result. Loud click. No cranking. If turned 3 or 4 times, battery cables start to get hot. Also, I should mention the previous owner claims the solenoid is new. It looks new too.

Stealth126

I don't know how to load test.

953 nut

Take a GOOD QUALITY jumper cable from the battery directly to the starter to see if it will turn over. If that works then move the jumper cable back to the load side of the solenoid. Continue to work your way back until the starter won't turn over. Whatever was between the last GOOD result and the first BAD result is your culprit.

6 minutes ago, Stealth126 said:

I don't know how to load test.

Any auto parts store will load test it for free.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Was about to put up a thread about starter  solenoid   And noticed this thread. So I’m about to buy a new starter  solenoid  for my tractor. Anything to look for at the parts place when I buy one? 

Stealth126

Okay. Positive on batter to positive on starter. Ground battery? And other end ground frame?

• Excellent 1

953 nut

Best to run the battery"-" directly to the engine block. That way if the engine isn't properly grounded you can find out and address that too.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Was about to put up a thread about starter  solenoid   And noticed this thread. So I’m about to buy a new starter  solenoid  for my tractor. Anything to look for at the parts place when I buy one? 

Randy if you go to a decent parts place... Tell them it's for an old Ford truck or Jeep.

3 or 4 post really doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

decent parts place.

:ROTF:               the young punk behind the counter will think a 2010 Ford or Jeep is an old one!               :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:ROTF:               the young punk behind the counter will think a 2010 Ford or Jeep is an old one!               :wacko:

Ok yeah that's true.

Use the word ancient. That should get you back to the 70s.

:P

• Haha 1

pfrederi

Lowe's HD have garden tractor solenoids. 

Sarge

If you have cables that are getting hot - those circuits are not working properly and building resistance, which equals heat. Most likely, the ground circuit to the engine is not capable of carrying the needed current - get a proper ground wire to the engine block and a smaller ground wire to one of the mounting bolts on the solenoid. The engine and frame must both be grounded to that battery - or you're wasting your time/money. Do not rely on points of contact like the engine block to frame bolts - there is paint at those points that will not conduct the current flow needed for the starter.

Sarge

• Like 1

Stealth126

Okay. I will check all that in the next couple days. In the meantime I hooked jumper cables to positive and negative on the battery, the other end I hooked positive to starter and negative to frame and scraped the paint until it sparked significantly at the frame. The starter didn't budge. I presume the starter is at least one of the problems. Am I on the right track?

• Sad 1

The Tuul Crib
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Lowe's HD have garden tractor solenoids. 

I went today and priced selinoids at O’Reillys and was shocked at the price!

40 bucks! They did have one around 20! 

Im going to the junk yard

rjg854

Check on eBay,  that's where I got mine, I think about 12 bucks 

The Tuul Crib
19 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I’ll have to check that out tomorrow. That sounds a bit more in my price range! 

• Like 1

pfrederi

HD.JPG

• Like 1