Ed Kennell

Oyster Pie

The Tuul Crib

Not sure I have ever heard of oyster 

pie! Probably better than raw!!:blink:

JAinVA

Oyster pie is a new one on me as well.

JCM

Never heard of it either,but growing up in New England along the coast it sounds scrumptious.

JAinVA

I grew up off the Chesapeake Bay and it is known for it's oysters.Since a lot of us here enjoy learning new things,do you think you could share the recipe or at least the main ingredients?I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

Mows4three
44 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

I grew up off the Chesapeake Bay and it is known for it's oysters.Since a lot of us here enjoy learning new things,do you think you could share the recipe or at least the main ingredients?I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Share the recipe?   It sounds like something I'd enjoy and I really wish Ed would share some pie!!!  Ha!

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

clueless

Ed, am I seeing oysters, crab meat, and butter in a pie :eek: ? Would love that recipe. Oysters, and crabs, it's a Chesapeake Bay and a Gulf Coast thing :handgestures-thumbupright:.

Ed Kennell

As most of you know, I spent my youth in the Appalachian Mountains of Western Pa. and had no knowledge of seafood or Dutch cuisine until I met my wife in SC Pa in 1961.

It did not take me long to develop a love of my wife's Grandmothers Dutch shoo fly pie, hog maw, hard shell crabs, oyster stuffing, and oyster pie.

Grandma Smith's Oyster pie

she used cast ion skillets and home made crusts....we cheat and use 9" pyrex dishes and Pillsbury rolled pie crusts

all ingredients are layered in......not mixed

1. bottom crust

2. 1/4" thick layer of crushed saltines

3. 2 cups pre cooked thinly  sliced potatoes

4. 1 1/2 pints of select oysters and juice      if you shuck your own, this = about 25 select or 35 standard size oysters          select size is prefered

5. 4 hard boiled chopped eggs

6. 1/2 stick of thinly sliced butter

7. sprinkle with celery salt

8. top crust      crimp edge and vent

9.  bake for 10 minutes at 400 then lower heat to 375 and bake till crust is golden brown.....about 30 minutes.

10. let stand for 10 minutes, then slice and serve   add sea salt and pepper to taste.    caution ….taste first as some oysters are naturally salty

three pies serves 10 of us,  but we luv oyster pie and everyone comes hungry

We normally serve with steamed green beans and a sugar/vinegar cole slaw.

And Chris,   no crab meat  that's crushed saltines you see...  crab  awww now.that's another day and meal.

IMG_6035.JPG.f02fd9f2ac7daf583d9cac20d5fc5120.JPG

I luv shell oysters and can usually buy them for $50 a 1/2 bushel.  I like to micro wave a 1/2 doz for 15 seconds to make them release for easier shucking, then slurp them down

To make the pies, I like to buy shucked sorted select size oysters.  These are currently selling for  $55-$60 a half gallon.

ENJOY

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2

JAinVA

Thanks.I know that there will be many of us who will give this a try!

• Like 1

wh500special

Thanks SO MUCH for letting us know this treat exists and for sharing the recipe.  This sounds wonderful!

For so many reasons - including the paucity of fresh oysters - I am living in the wrong part of the country.

As you might guess, Oysters aren't really much of a thing here in Illinois.  We just went to an "oyster fest" at a bar in downtown STL this past weekend and it was wonderful.  They fly in a bunch of oysters for the ordeal and judging by the pricing those little boogers get to ride first class.

When I travel to the coast or gulf, oysters are always end up on my plate.  These cravings are hereditary it seems since my 12-year old daughter puts them with Sushi and Escargot as her favorite foods.  She's a smart kid.

Thanks for sharing,

Steve

• Like 1

wh500special
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

As most of you know, I spent my youth in the Appalachian Mountains of Western Pa. and had no knowledge of seafood or Dutch cuisine until I met my wife in SC Pa in 1961.

It did not take me long to develop a love of my wife's Grandmothers Dutch shoo fly pie, hog maw,...

Well, shoot.

I was familiar with everything else, but had to google "hog maw".

As I was reading your post I was thinking, "Geez, the only family culinary tradition we have is eating a pig's stomach on Easter."  In Croatian it is known as something else which escapes me right now, but apparently all along we have been enjoying (some of us anyway) hog maw on Easter every year.  That, and boiled bacon. 

Yes, boiled.  It's a horrible way to eat bacon but it's a Rasputin of a tradition that just will not die.

Strange tradition, indeed.

Steve

Edited by wh500special

Ed Kennell

Seems we all have our traditions Steve.    Thanksgiving and Christmas are always roast turkey and oyster stuffing.    New Years day is sauerkraut, pork, and mashed taters.

Easter is baked ham and sweet taters.     The winter months in between we fill in with oyster pie and  hog maw stuffed with sausage cabbage and taters.

Oh, you have exclusive rights to the boiled bacon. 

• Haha 1

wh500special

Took a picture of the stuffed pig stomach my family eats at Easter.  Lots of ham, eggs, and other stuff all congealed together and baked in the stomach.  Mom removed the cooked stomach when she sliced it, but it really just turns into a tough rind on the outside.

It's a lot better than it sounds.  It was especially tasty this year as mom departed from the traditional recipe and added other spices.

No boiled bacon this year.  i didn't miss it.

Steve

easter stomach.jpg

• Like 1

Gregor
1 hour ago, wh500special said:

It's a lot better than it sounds. 

It would just about have to be.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, wh500special said:

stuffed pig stomach

That's called "Hog Maw"  here in dutch country.     We stuff ours with potatoes, sausage, carrots, and cabbage and bake it to a golden brown.    The maw is delicious and the end slices is the prize....more maw.

Image result for hog maw picturesImage result for hog maw pictures

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Excellent 2