RetroMower

C100 electric woes

RetroMower

Finally got my 1st wheelhorses home and after a little fiddling with the c100, draining what used to be gasoline from the system and replacing the battery cables and hooking them to a freshly charged battery.... nothing:eusa-think:. . Hooked up the lil multi meter and i have 12v at the key and the solenoid shows 12 on the small terminals when key is moved to start. I jumped 12v straight to the starter and she spins fine but not with the key. Previous owner looks to have jumped the seat safety switch among other "interesting " repairs. I have speculations but id like to hear the opinions of you wheel horse pros :bow-blue:

• Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, RetroMower said:

solenoid shows 12 on the small terminals when key is moved to start.

Most lawn and garden type solenoids have two small terminals, one going to the switch and the other going to ground to complete the circuit.

oldredrider

Check the PTO lever. May be partially engaged opening the start circuit.

953 nut
6 hours ago, RetroMower said:

Finally got my 1st wheelhorses home and after a little fiddling with the c100, draining what used to be gasoline from the system and replacing the battery cables and hooking them to a freshly charged battery.... nothing:eusa-think:. . Hooked up the lil multi meter and i have 12v at the key and the solenoid shows 12 on the small terminals when key is moved to start. I jumped 12v straight to the starter and she spins fine but not with the key. Previous owner looks to have jumped the seat safety switch among other "interesting " repairs. I have speculations but id like to hear the opinions of you wheel horse pros :bow-blue:

You have three posts going that are all asking the same question, please ask the moderators to combine them.

Racinbob

Easy fix per what you're saying is happening. You have 12v at the small terminal on the solenoid when you turn the key to start. Bypassing it with jumpers directly to battery and it spins. So....safety switches not the issue. Replace the solenoid. :)

Same answer to the other two posts. :D

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

RetroMower
38 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Same answer to the other two posts. :D

I apologize for the other identical posts. Im still in the process of figuring out what goes best where. I wish i could delete them but thankfully one was modded out. It won't happen again.

Hopefully i can find a part number on the solenoid. Im also not getting spark from the coil. Wondering if its the points or coil itself

Edited by RetroMower

Racinbob

No problem at all Just funning with you. :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

I would go through all the wiring and make sure the connections are clean and tight including the grounds. You can get a solenoid most anywhere but make sure you check the wiring. I usually use a Ford solenoid but the mounting bracket is the ground on them. The 'S' terminal on the switch connects to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid. The 'I' terminal on the solenoid is a resistor bypass and just don't connect anything to it. :)

• Like 1

953 nut
53 minutes ago, RetroMower said:

not getting spark from the coil

Check the voltage at the "+" terminal of the coil with the key in the "Run" position. If you do have 12 volts, next remove the points cover and (key OFF) take a dollar bill and use it to clean the points contacts. Turn the key to "Run" and use a screw driver to open and close the points and you should see a spark. Let us know what you find and we will go from there.

• Like 1

Sarge

The case and body of those solenoids have to be grounded back to the battery - otherwise, the coil doesn't have a complete circuit to make it work and close the contacts. Make certain you have continuity between the negative battery post and the body/base of that solenoid before doing anything. On most of this stuff, I add a ground wire to both the starting solenoid as well as the charging system voltage regulator/rectifier.

Sarge

RetroMower

Didnt have much time to fart around but i did manage to swap the solenoid from the B100 to the C100 as it looked to be much newer and woo hoo key and the starter are now friends again. 

The silver body one is the faulty one removed from the C100. Black one is a donor from the B100 and works fine. Tomorrow i hope to clean and check the points as 953nut suggested and hopefully it will live again after a near decade nap

20190327_194050.jpg

20190327_194021.jpg

• Like 3

RetroMower

Well as instructed, i checked and had 12v on the positive side of the coil when key is on. Checked points. Cover was nestled nicely behind muffler. Cleaned points but i used a 100$ bill, didnt have a 1$ bill. Lol jk actually used some 2000 grit very lightly And i had a teeny spark. Seemed small as did the one from the coil to the plug but it sputtered a few times with the aid of starting fluid. I think the coil is weak or something else that my limited small engine knowledge doesn't know. I was wondering if an automotive style coil for a car would be ok or would it b too much juice? I know theres a fuel problem but ill ask about it in engine topic.

Edited by RetroMower
Wrong thread wrong content. Dont wanna get yelled at again

953 nut
12 hours ago, RetroMower said:

used a 100$ bill, didnt have a 1$ bill.

You did well, the $ 100 bill works much better but that is a highly guarded secret!

The condenser is connected to the "-" side of the coil, disconnect the wire from it and see if the spark improves. You can run without a condenser for testing, but not as a long term fix.

The ignition coil on a Kohler engine has a built in resistor, most automotive coils (except 12 Volt VWs) don't.

• Like 1

RetroMower
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You can run without a condenser for testing, but not as a long term fix.

The ignition coil on a Kohler engine has a built in resistor, most automotive coils (except 12 Volt VWs) don't.

Where do most wheelhorse owners seek new ignition coils?  Mine is a Delco Remy which is a brand i associate with GM. I know some automotive parts are ok for garden tractors but if this one lacks a resistor then its a previous bad fix.  

midpack

Not that it's causing any of your problem, but is the Solenoid mounted to the engine? 

Can't remember seeing any like that.

RetroMower
11 minutes ago, midpack said:

Not that it's causing any of your problem, but is the Solenoid mounted to the engine? 

Can't remember seeing any like that.

Yes the solenoid is bolted to the motor 

953 nut
8 hours ago, RetroMower said:

Where do most wheelhorse owners seek new ignition coils?  Mine is a Delco Remy which is a brand i associate with GM. I know some automotive parts are ok for garden tractors but if this one lacks a resistor then its a previous bad fix.  

Tractor Supply has the internal resistor coils in stock.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tisco-ignition-coil-396547r93?cm_vc=-10005