Ghost66

Value of 2001 Toro 520LXI

Ghost66

Hello, I am helping my parents sell their Toro 521LXI.  It only has 100 hours on it.  It comes with a cab, wheel weights, wheel chains, and a 2-stage snowblower.  All are in excellent condition.

I was wondering what this package would be worth.  If anyone can help me determine a value I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Toro 520LXI #1.jpg

Toro 520LXI #2.jpg

Toro 520LXI #3.jpg

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Wow that’s sweet !! Only 100 hours too!

Not sure of the value that’s a tuff one. Thanx for sharing the pics. Some one here should be able to help. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:text-coolphotos:

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

John, @shallowwatersailor, what be your thoughts on this one? I honestly think it would be worth more with a mowing deck as well but...i still know where an unsold 522xi demonstrator sets waiting for a new home, but he's still asking $6k...

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1747.jpg

IMAG1738.jpg

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

My thoughts are $3K+, but it is the wrong season for selling a snowblower. Broken down prices would be $2K+ for the tractor, $500 for the cab, and $500+ for the two stage including the weights and chains.

• Like 1

WHX??

I'd give 3K all day for it and if you were any closer would already be in my barn!

I would have to disagree with the guys on the deck but I already have plenty of mowers. I wouldn't have thought there is enough snow in your area to warrant such a beast? Is that why the low hours?

Ghost66
25 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

My thoughts are $3K+, but it is the wrong season for selling a snowblower. Broken down prices would be $2K+ for the tractor, $500 for the cab, and $500+ for the two stage including the weights and chains.

Thanks, that's helpful.  Yes it's definitely the wrong season to sell it!  ;)  

Ghost66
27 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Thanks, that seems to be in line with the other estimates I've been given.

dcrage
38 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

I wouldn't have thought there is enough snow in your area to warrant such a beast? Is that why the low hours?

I would think they get enough snow in Lincoln, NE and it is cold enough to use a snow blower. Nothing like the lake effect snows some of you guys get. But I know they were in the path of that ‘snow cyclone’ that hit two weeks ago 

Edited by dcrage
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

Just another thought to throw into the mix, although not specifically about this model.

My concern for this item if I were the seller would be its location.

We all know that the Wheel Horse distribution trail generally thinned out drastically in a north/south line running either direction from basically the Missouri/Kansas state line.

Toro maybe a little less so, but most of us know there are wide regional variations in pricing for about any model of tractor or implement.

Sometimes a couple of hundred miles can make a significant difference.

It's really difficult to judge this one.

I mean how many of us here know much, if anything, about demand for a garden tractor with cab and a snowblower in Nebraska??? (Or garden tractors in general?)

Its a super nice looking, super low hour machine, but as they say, the three most important things in real estate are location, location, location.

The same rule as regard to a quick turnaround with this item quite likely would apply as well. You might need to sit on it for another 6 months to get a reasonable offer on the machine.

Most of the members who might really lust after this machine, probably are located 12, 15, 18, or more hours driving time away, one way. That's a pretty big deal to go collect. You are a long way from what your mostly likely market area would be, IMO.

Shipping could be done, but that would likely add significantly to the expense, not to mention risk of damage by a carrier.

And also, given the recent horrible disastrous flooding throughout much of the Cornhusker state, don't be surprised if someone who shows interest poses the question as to whether the tractor was water damaged in the mess that engulfed so much of the state.

Not trying to be purposely negative, but I would say you might have a slow go, even at the general price range suggested.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Hope you meet with success.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib

It might be worth taking a road trip and and making the sale as well. The sale would greatly make it worth it.

• Like 1

Ghost66
16 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

I'd give 3K all day for it and if you were any closer would already be in my barn!

I would have to disagree with the guys on the deck but I already have plenty of mowers. I wouldn't have thought there is enough snow in your area to warrant such a beast? Is that why the low hours?

The low hour thing has a long story.  But in short someone bought it and died shortly thereafter.  A nephew took possession of the tractor but rarely used it.  

Ghost66
36 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Just another thought to throw into the mix, although not specifically about this model.

My concern for this item if I were the seller would be its location.

We all know that the Wheel Horse distribution trail generally thinned out drastically in a north/south line running either direction from basically the Missouri/Kansas state line.

Toro maybe a little less so, but most of us know there are wide regional variations in pricing for about any model of tractor or implement.

Sometimes a couple of hundred miles can make a significant difference.

It's really difficult to judge this one.

I mean how many of us here know much, if anything, about demand for a garden tractor with cab and a snowblower in Nebraska??? (Or garden tractors in general?)

Its a super nice looking, super low hour machine, but as they say, the three most important things in real estate are location, location, location.

The same rule as regard to a quick turnaround with this item quite likely would apply as well. You might need to sit on it for another 6 months to get a reasonable offer on the machine.

Most of the members who might really lust after this machine, probably are located 12, 15, 18, or more hours driving time away, one way. That's a pretty big deal to go collect. You are a long way from what your mostly likely market area would be, IMO.

Shipping could be done, but that would likely add significantly to the expense, not to mention risk of damage by a carrier.

And also, given the recent horrible disastrous flooding throughout much of the Cornhusker state, don't be surprised if someone who shows interest poses the question as to whether the tractor was water damaged in the mess that engulfed so much of the state.

Not trying to be purposely negative, but I would say you might have a slow go, even at the general price range suggested.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Hope you meet with success.

Wow, you've made some great points.  I don't think Mom and Dad are in a real hurry to sell it, so I don't think they'd mind sitting on it for awhile.  But the location is something I hadn't really considered.

Ghost66
12 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

It might be worth taking a road trip and and making the sale as well. The sale would greatly make it worth it.

So you mean like a delivery?  We might be able to swing something like that.  

• Like 1

Ghost66
1 hour ago, shallowwatersailor said:

OK, that's kind of what I was thinking.  Yes, definitely the wrong season!  :)  But Mom and Dad aren't in any hurry so they can definitely wait until the next snow season.

The Tuul Crib
Just now, Ghost66 said:

So you mean like a delivery?  We might be able to swing something like that.  

Maybe a mini vacation.:auto-car:

i definitely stand strong on price. 

ztnoo

Sensing you are new to all this and rereading your opening statement, another question comes to mind. It's just the way my mind works.

Seller language and how things are described can make a big difference in the way these things go sometimes.

You stated:

4 hours ago, Ghost66 said:

All are in excellent condition.

Later you added:

1 hour ago, Ghost66 said:

The low hour thing has a long story.  But in short someone bought it and died shortly thereafter.  A nephew took possession of the tractor but rarely used it.

So, the question I would have and I'm sure others would have as well which is simply blunt is: Does it run, in fact run well (as one would expect of a 100 hour tractor), and are there any known issues with either the tractor, snowblower, or the cab? You don't actually make the claim it runs. Condition and operation are two separate issues.

I hope you understand, that's fair question to be asked in the way I'm asking it.

Honestly it sounds like neither you or your parents know much about it. Did they ever use it? How about you? How did they end up with the tractor, if it was in a nephew's possession?

If someone drives hours and hours to assess the machine, to potentially purchase it, and it isn't what you say it is and doesn't perform as described, they would be understandably upset. That's likely a mild understatement.

Conversely, if you offered to do the transport on some sort of an arrangement as to travel expense and a potential buyer backs out, you will be the one who is peeved.

Both scenarios can be ugly scenes.

These are just some additional things to consider going forward.

Better to be aware, than unaware.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by ztnoo

WHX??

You ain't related to my sister are you Steve?.... She way over analyzes stuff too. :D

It's quite  obvious this is a pretty clean tractor driven by the proverbial little old lady only driven on Sundays. No matter the mechanical short comings. Any competent tractorperson will make this girl work with little investment beyond the purchase price. 

Only thing I may point out Ghost is with a tractor of of this vintage and brand buyers MIGHT be scared off by availability of parts and ther price when required.  Not a big deal  for us here as we either make what we need or out source. Others maybe a concern.

All said I would start at 35 but take no less than 3. Dare anyone to get a rig like that nowadays for less. 

You might do much better toward the 35 tho if buyers can hear it run.

Edited by WHX22
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

:text-yeahthat:, I recently (2 years ago) had a mid hour (1100+) 520xi with snow plow single stage thrower 48" deck rear clevis hitch single bottom plow and rear carrier that I sold for $2500 but again location and implements...i had it for sale probably close to 6 months and stood firm on what I was willing to let it go for.

IMAG2996.jpg

Ghost66
21 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Sensing you are new to all this and rereading your opening statement, another question comes to mind. It's just the way my mind works.

Seller language and how things are described can make a big difference in the way these things go sometimes.

You stated:

Later you added:

So, the question I would have and I'm sure others would have as well which is simply blunt is: Does it run, in fact run well (as one would expect of a 100 hour tractor), and are there any known issues with either the tractor, snowblower, or the cab? You don't actually make the claim it runs. Condition and operation are two separate issues.

I hope you understand, that's fair question to be asked in the way I'm asking it.

Honestly it sounds like neither you or your parents know much about it. Did they ever use it? How about you? How did they end up with the tractor, if it was in a nephew's possession?

If someone drives hours and hours to assess the machine, to potentially purchase it, and it isn't what you say it is and doesn't perform as described, they would be understandably upset. That's likely a mild understatement.

Conversely, if you offered to do the transport on some sort of an arrangement as to travel expense and a potential buyer backs out, you will be the one who is peeved.

Both scenarios can be ugly scenes.

These are just some additional things to consider going forward.

Better to be aware, than unaware.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

The tractor runs great.  Starts right up even in really cold weather.  It has plenty of power, etc.  The snowblower lift works great.  Hydro-static transmission is smooth.  It really does seem like new to me.  My brother and I purchased it for my parents to clear the snow from their driveway.  They are both pushing 80 and this winter they've been snowed in several times.  So this set up was perfect for them and they've gotten good use from it (well, just my dad has driven it).

Mom and Dad haven't had the tractor very long.  Prior to Mom and Dad owning it the tractor was only used to clear snow in the winter.

• Like 1

Ghost66
21 hours ago, WHX22 said:

You ain't related to my sister are you Steve?.... She way over analyzes stuff too. :D

It's quite  obvious this is a pretty clean tractor driven by the proverbial little old lady only driven on Sundays. No matter the mechanical short comings. Any competent tractorperson will make this girl work with little investment beyond the purchase price. 

Only thing I may point out Ghost is with a tractor of of this vintage and brand buyers MIGHT be scared off by availability of parts and ther price when required.  Not a big deal  for us here as we either make what we need or out source. Others maybe a concern.

All said I would start at 35 but take no less than 3. Dare anyone to get a rig like that nowadays for less. 

You might do much better toward the 35 tho if buyers can hear it run.

Thanks!  I might make a YouTube video of it running and with the snowblower in operation.  That might help quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

GEnd

Ghost66 - did you ever sell the 520LXI?  I realize the topic is a year + old but one never knows. Thanks