midpack

what's left...

midpack

So..., I have a KT17 in a C-175 and it runs great. except it will not charge the battery

I tried a different rectifier, no change,

took the flywheel off, cleaned it all out, checked the magnets and changed the stator. both the rectifier and stator came off machines that ran/charged correctly.

I cleaned the battery Neg and used Di grease on it.

I wouldn't think the coil would make any difference in the charge circuit, but I have another I could try.

what am I missing...

ebinmaine

I have pretty much zero experience with 2 cylinder engines but I don't think the coil is even involved in the charging circuit.

Have you tried continuity test or actual voltage test with engine running coming out of the Stator?

Also, continuity test on the wiring between the stator and the rectifier.

I only have very basic knowledge of charging systems in general but I'm curious to see what your final solve is going to be so I'm going to hang around and see what the others say.

pfrederi

Did you test the AC output of the stator with engine running at at least half throttle   You should have around 30 volts  Pull the plug off the regulator and test the two white wires using the AC on you rmultimetere.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

JoeM
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Did you test the AC output of the stator with engine running at at least half throttle   You should have around 30 volts  Pull the plug off the regulator and test the two white wires using the AC on you rmultimetere.

Good test second rectifier maybe bad.

midpack

So... even though it took me a while...

I finally found the problem!!

Not the rectifier plug, the 2 wire plug where the single wire comes from the middle post of the rectifier. 

I had cleaned it a little and used di grease when I first installed the engine, but after I pulled it apart and re seated it firmly, lots of volts now 😁

I may be slow, but I dont give up easily!!

Edited by midpack
  • Like 4

midpack

Sooooo...... 3rd times a charm?

I noticed this machine was not charging... again.

looked at the connection that I had thought was the problem with no success.

As I was moving (wiggling) the wires around further along, I saw the voltmeter jump. followed it to the key switch connector.

Pulled the plug, blew it out well with compressed air and upon close examination, one of the connectors that's bent (to apply pressure on the blade on the back of the key switch) was broken off!

if you looked at the plug quickly, everything looked ok,

put a new end on the wire and getting a nice charge.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1