WheelHorse314-8

oil warning light help...

WheelHorse314-8

I have a 1999 Wheel Horse 314-8 with the 3 light warning system.  My engine oil light was working fine but all the sudden it stays on ALL the time.  I thought it was the oil pressure switch so I installed a new one but it is still staying on.  Any suggestions on why it won't go off?

gwest_ca

The oil pressure switch provides a ground for the light to turn it on when the oil pressure is lower than 3 psi to 5 psi. Normal oil pressure should be up to 60 psi with a cold engine down to 12 psi at a hot idle.

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position with the engine NOT running. The oil light should come on. Pull the wire off the switch.

If the light goes out the problem is the switch or low oil pressure.

If the light stays on the problem is a short in the ground wire between the oil pressure switch and the oil light.

When the oil light is on it should be flashing.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WheelHorse314-8
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position with the engine NOT running. The oil light IS ON. Pull the wire off the switch.

If the light goes out the problem is the switch or low oil pressure.  BUT ITS FULL OF OIL AND RUNNING SMOOTH.

If the light stays on the problem is a short in the ground wire between the oil pressure switch and the oil light.

When the oil light is on it should be flashing.  WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING THE LIGHT IS NOT FLASHING, IT IS CONSTANT

So and suggestions on what that means?

Edited by WheelHorse314-8

gwest_ca

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position with the engine NOT running. The oil light IS ON. Pull the wire off the switch.

What does the light do when you pull the wire off the oil pressure switch?

Garry

WheelHorse314-8
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position with the engine NOT running. The oil light IS ON. Pull the wire off the switch.

What does the light do when you pull the wire off the oil pressure switch?

Garry

it goes out/off

gwest_ca
51 minutes ago, WheelHorse314-8 said:

it goes out/off

That is what the oil pressure switch should be doing for you. I would replace the switch with an oil pressure gauge and see what oil pressure you have if you can. I have a gauge on the end of an 18" whip end for a grease gun. These hoses are high pressure and the fittings are small so adapting a gauge to the hose is easy. I do not know the switch location so this setup might not easily thread into the engine.

Given what you are describing I would not run the engine to test. Pull the spark plug out and plug it back into the spark plug wire. Make sure the plug is grounded to the block away from the spark plug hole. You don't want a fire.

Crank the engine over with the starter to check the oil pressure. It will spin at a good speed with the plug out.

One thing that has me puzzled is the 3 lights are all the same part number but only the oil light blinks. The manual does not say the other two blink. What devise makes the oil lamp blink? The green wire going to the oil pressure switch also powers the hourmeter. Make sure it is hooked up and the other wire on the hourmeter is grounded.

The hourmeter may pulse on and off as it winds the clock and this may be what causes the light to blink.

The most important is the oil pressure is not opening the oil pressure switch. You need to find out why without destroying the engine.

For those following along the oil pressure switch grounds the oil light with no pressure = light on. 

That same wire powers the hourmeter. If the oil pressure switch is closed that wire is pulled to ground so there is no power to run the hourmeter. 

When the oil pressure switch is open the oil lamp acts as a current limiter supplying just enough power to run the hourmeter but not enough to light the bulb.

At least that is what I think happens.

Thoughts?

Garry

WheelHorse314-8

the engine is running like a top.  no knocks, no smoke.  when the light is on (with the engine running) the hourmeter does not work.  when i unplug the the oil switch (with the engine running) the hourmeter will work.  

the light has not blinked at all yet.  just stays on.  

Its got me baffled.  :huh:

WheelHorse314-8

I put an AC Delco oil filter on it.  would that have anything to do with it?

gwest_ca

It may. What is the AC part number?

Garry

WheelHorse314-8

PF53

gwest_ca

The PF53 will fit but can not find an AC application chart to see if that is what AC recommends for your engine.

To me oil filters are like spark plugs. You should not use an interchange chart to determine a replacement plug or oil filter. The only similarity may be that it physically fits.

Go to that company and look up the part for your application. They know best what works the best.

Found a page on the hourmeter. They state it rewinds approximately every 2 seconds and I suspect that use of power is what is supposed to cause the oil light to flash.

Click on the picture and again on the next page that comes up. The last one I added is different than an earlier one.

Garry

WheelHorse314-8

I dont know then.  Guess I will have to do some tinkering around guess work to figure out why the light wont go out.  

WheelHorse314-8

Where is a good place to buy a new hourmeter?