1990Onan520-H

Good wheelhorse mechanic in NJ/Eastern PA

1990Onan520-H

Hey all, looking for a good place to take a couple horses for some engine work. An 87 516-H and a 90 520-H with a 91 engine. The 516 just needs a service... decarbon, valve adjustment etc. The 520 needs a complete engine rebuild. I want everything replaced and done right so I have no issues. Any suggestions?

oliver2-44

22C7594C-0EC3-4184-A226-34CE6ABF6984.jpeg.ed2050b15d970bd5f302d2f27493d375.jpeg

I ran across this place when I was visiting my son in NJ. I stopped in and talked to a really nice guy. They used to be a WH dealer. Still a toro dealer.  Had a lot of GT,s of every color in the yard.  PS don’t tell the other guys about this place.   Since he might even have some no’s and used WH parts. It will be out Texas/NJ secret

D666725F-0B08-4DED-9F54-7F001A8E2718.jpeg.348cd25e2f6a0adb8e995351707c74c1.jpeg

If your a little mechanically inclined you could also consider buying a remanufactured short block from Kustom remanufactures

• Like 3

1990Onan520-H
40 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

22C7594C-0EC3-4184-A226-34CE6ABF6984.jpeg.ed2050b15d970bd5f302d2f27493d375.jpeg

I ran across this place when I was visiting my son in NJ. I stopped in and talked to a really nice guy. They used to be a WH dealer. Still a toro dealer.  Had a lot of GT,s of every color in the yard.  PS don’t tell the other guys about this place.   Since he might even have some no’s and used WH parts. It will be out Texas/NJ secret

D666725F-0B08-4DED-9F54-7F001A8E2718.jpeg.348cd25e2f6a0adb8e995351707c74c1.jpeg

If your a little mechanically inclined you could also consider buying a remanufactured short block from Kustom remanufactures

I'm very mechanically inclined. In fact I would probably have very little trouble rebuilding the engine myself. I just really don't have a ton of time so figured I would get a quote and then decide if I want to do it myself or not. I've just never ripped into any tractor before so im sure there will be a learning curve. I built a few automotive engines in my life, couple v6 and v8's pushrod and ohc, so I can't imagine this is all that hard. I do tend to like perfection though, which is why I don't trust many people with my things.

That being said is Kusom a reputable place? Never heard of them.

Achto

I'm all for keeping things original, but know that a complete rebuild on an ONAN will be very costly. Some guys have opted to go with the 22hp Predator from Harbor Freight. Very hard to beat the price on the Predator and they are a reliable engine. You will have to switch to an electric PTO clutch as I do not believe that they are equipped with the need thrust bearing on the crank. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

peter lena

hello, that engine site ,https://shop.kustomlawnandgarden.com/ONAN-ENGINES-REMANUFACTURED_c5.htm  , they have a very extensive source for engines. there was also a guy on  ( this site from VA ,) that rebuilds engines  look up  classifieds . that  MJ,S  MOWER SERVICE , could be your best bet . being closer to you .  it would all depend on your desire to get it done. good luck with it , Pete

1990Onan520-H
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I'm all for keeping things original, but know that a complete rebuild on an ONAN will be very costly. Some guys have opted to go with the 22hp Predator from Harbor Freight. Very hard to beat the price on the Predator and they are a reliable engine. You will have to switch to an electric PTO clutch as I do not believe that they are equipped with the need thrust bearing on the crank. 

Ive seen repowers that costs $2000-$2500. The rebuilt onan on that site is $1600. Is that really all that expensive? Says it has all factory parts and seems to be a quality rebuild for cheaper than a Honda repower for example. Plus I'm kind of a keep it original type of guy anyway. I would just love to hear from a few guys who used that place so I know it's not just good marketing and bad rebuilds.

refracman

1600 for a reman long block onan is not a bad price. parts alone retail will run you 800-1000, bore/crank machining 150-200  

Id ask if they have a guarantee of some sort.

My guy gives, believe or not and I think hes crazy, a one year guarantee on his rebuilds if not your fault.

1990Onan520-H
1 hour ago, refracman said:

1600 for a reman long block onan is not a bad price. parts alone retail will run you 800-1000, bore/crank machining 150-200  

Id ask if they have a guarantee of some sort.

My guy gives, believe or not and I think hes crazy, a one year guarantee on his rebuilds if not your fault.

I don't have a good core since my rod played peekaboo with my block, so mine will be more like 1,800. I was hoping someone had already bought from these guys though so I had an idea of how good they are. But warranty is a big deal as long as they actually cover things and not blame the customer.