bellevillerod

Commando 8

bellevillerod

Thank you for the link, your video's have taken the fear out of tearing into the drive trains on these tractors. The last one that I did is going strong and I expect it to last long after I'm around to drive it. It give's me great satisfaction to bring these old tractors back. My love was brought on for these through my dad. He saved and pushed mowed a huge lawn until he could afford the Horse he wanted. I still have that C-160 auto, and it mows for me 45 years later. Again, thanks for all you do to help. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

bellevillerod

Well got the hitch and pin issue taken care off tonight. One down and many more to go. Forgot to bring in the axle key to start on a brass one for welding up the keyways. For the longest time I was a round hood fan, these short hood horses are starting to really grow on me.

20190321_225456.jpg

20190322_013904.jpg

20190322_014006.jpg

20190319_175623.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, bellevillerod said:

short hood horses

Those are Trina's favorite as well.

She has a 657, and an 867 now. And we're going to pick up her (855?) In a few weeks.

I really like having flat steps on my tractors but I understand what you mean... I like the look of the hood in the mid 60s.

• Like 2

bellevillerod

Yep for a working rig I like my c160 an 416h, but for looks the older tractors win hands down.......to my eye

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

bellevillerod

Was also able to hurry up an knock off the plow bracket before I got off work. This thing was bent three ways to Sunday, used hard by the looks of it. I took a torch to it and was able to straighten out the latch arms and the angle iron. Sand blasted it all real good and a couple coats of paint. I was pleased with the way it turned out. When I took it off it did not look like it had been installed right. But I will have to look for pics to see how the old style brackets are supposed to be installed before it goes back on.

20190322_051917.jpg

20190322_052000.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bellevillerod

I just went to WHP&M and looked at the pic's. I see the arms are on backwards, something didn't look right...lol

• Like 2

bellevillerod

Ok some talk of the broach to cut a keyway in the hub. Here are a couple of pics of the process. imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

20190322_214823.jpg

20190322_233730.jpg

Edited by bellevillerod
  • Like 2

Howie

Yep, bought myself one of those to have around. Not hard to do!

pfrederi
On 3/22/2019 at 11:46 PM, bellevillerod said:

Ok some talk of the broach to cut a keyway in the hub. Here are a couple of pics of the process. imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

20190322_214823.jpg

20190322_233730.jpg

How do you work this.  Use a press of some kind?  How many passes to get the keyway deep enough???

bellevillerod

Ya I used a hyd press, and it took 3 passes to get it cut to depth. After the first pass you slide a shim, top pic, behind the broach and go again. If you need it to be deeper you put another shim behind and go again. Most keys are are two shims deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bellevillerod

bumped the button on phone and shot it at 1/2 speed.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1