bellevillerod

416H Horse test drive

bellevillerod

I got most of the work done on my new to me 416H. I picked this up a couple of months ago for 240 near to me. Went threw engine new belts, plugs, cleaned carb, set valves an new plug wires. Sanded down most of it and some new decals. Starts right up no smoke with 1400 hours on it. Its a 1990 so not too many if used regularly. It was plugged FULL of crap, never seen so much stuff in a tractor. Runs strong but my yard is WET and I got stuck, only one tire was spinning is this normal? They are bald and need replaced but either I have not noticed this before or I have an issue in my trans? Any thoughts

20190118_184708 (1).jpg

20190318_111751.jpg

20190203_115550.jpg

20190204_090728.jpg

20190204_090750.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Good to hear you’re up and running Rod!  Many tractors have an open differential, the one wheel peel is nothing to worry about  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, bellevillerod said:

Runs strong but my yard is WET and I got stuck,

Well,   what do you expect?    You removed a ton of grass clippings from the rear end, now you don't have enough weight!     :ychain:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H

IDK if I would keep my water bottle there :confusion-confused:...

Screenshot_20190318-180949.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, bellevillerod said:

20190204_090728.jpg

That's some good lookin top soil right there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Herder

Grass clippings? that would be :wh: manure. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

IDK if I would keep my water bottle there :confusion-confused:...

Screenshot_20190318-180949.png

In some parts, that might be a reserve gas tank!

• Haha 3

bellevillerod

don't know how that got in there, but it was a tight fit. It was full too, just goes to show. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

• Haha 5

Lee1977

You've just got started, now remove the dash panel and shiftier plate. There will be lots more of what ever you want to call it. Here is a picture of my 1989  520 with half the hours your has.

SAM-0937.jpg

Did you pull the back cover off the Onan. Mine the fins and the back cover was completely packed.

Edited by Lee1977

bellevillerod

Ya I did pull the back covers off. The hydro unit was packed full. I had to use a long thin screwdriver to get into all the fins. The fan was packed to where it had worn a grove into the packed grass. The only covers I did not pull were the two dash panels you show above. The pic of the pile was taken way too early. After that was taken and thrown away I got that much and more from other places. I used 150 psi air to blow out everywhere. I didn't think it was going stop blowing crap out. I got real lucky I think, that nothing seems to be bad. The hydro unit had to be getting hot when driven. The engine could not have been cooling itself. Yet the hydro unit is quiet and the engine does not smoke. I added sea foam to the engine gas and oil and ran a tank full. Changed oil and filter, hydro flush and new filter. It has a 48 in deck that runs quiet and looks to be in great shape. Deck is on the saw horses now to be torn down and gone thru. New seat on the way, and tires waiting to go on. This may be the best $$ spent on a tractor yet for me. I mow just over 2 acre with a C-160A with a 48 in deck. Don't know yet where this tractor will be working. But after seeing how much it collects when mowing it may get a different task to do around here. Should be fun figuring it out. 

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

I used my first 520H as a 4 season horse for 15+ years, if you keep after it mowing the lawn will not bother it, just use the compressed air after each mowing then each (or every other) fall pull the seat/fender pan and dash panels and power wash...even my new water cooled mower gets plugged up with grass while mowing it's the nature of the beast sometimes even worse than pictured.

IMAG3500.jpg

IMAG3499.jpg

• Like 3

bellevillerod

I think it's an Onan thing, I have 3 of the twins and they all suck stuff up. Two of them are early 70's Sears Suburbans with 16&18 Onan engine's in them. In the fall they cover the engine with leaves fast as my Cyclone rake does. You really have to pay attention to that engine cover so as not to over heat that rig. But I have had great luck with Onans "knock on wood" so far, and really love the way they sound and work. Nothing sounds like an Onan governor under load. They are like fine women, keep giving them attention and they will purr, stop and it will cost you big....lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, bellevillerod said:

I think it's an Onan thing,  Nothing sounds like an Onan governor under load. They are like fine women, keep giving them attention and they will purr, stop and it will cost you big....lol

I couldn't have said it better, I'm 100% with you there...

• Like 3

bellevillerod

Love that vid, they do have a sound all their own. I don't have a blower yet but I use a moldboard plow. Running dual straight pipe's out the side neighbors love me hitting the fields early morning's.:rant2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, bellevillerod said:

Running dual straight pipe's out the side

Pictures?  Videos?  Please?  Thanks in advance?!

bellevillerod

Will do I have the plow tractor going back together now. Wife hated the puke yellow on the 75 ss18 suburban so I had to repaint it cobalt blue & almond. Put a set of 26x12x12 Kenda executioners looks great. Will get a vid soon!!

• Thanks 1

bellevillerod

Here is a couple of pic of her tractor in progress and a short vid of the sound without the trumpet tubes attached to the ends. I bump them up two more sizes ending with 3in polished copper pipes. It's down rite rude at full throttle.....lol . I don't know how to shorten my vids yet but I will learn.

20180129_041735.jpg

20190104_233847.jpg

20190104_233805.jpg

• Like 1

bellevillerod
9 hours ago, pullstart said:

Pictures?  Videos?  Please?  Thanks in advance?!

there ya go ....it's a work in progress. My daughter is crying that her tractor is being neglected. She laid claim to the Commando 8 so I started tear down on it tonight. She wanted to pick the colors too, but it's a horse. I told her the same thing ole Henry Ford said. You can have any color you want honey as long as it's Red. 

• Haha 1