HappyHillbilly

Salvageable Wheels?

Pullstart

I’m not sure what shims you are talking about, the wheel is usually right on the hub.  

By by the way, many people grab a handful of fine thread 7/16” bolts and run those into the hub from behind, then run standard lug nuts.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If you take some soft copper tubing and hammer it flat, you can use it behind any holes and then weld on the rim.  The weld will not stick to the copper...save a lot of grinding.  :occasion-xmas:  Helps if you have a daughter that welds.

2008_0210wheelsfront0003.JPG

Did electrolysisto get rid of rust.

2008_0223drawings0001.JPG

2008_0507drawings0001.JPG

2008_0507drawings0002.JPG

2009_0717b-1000001.JPG

2009_0717b-1000002.JPG

• Excellent 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

@stevasaurusWe all don't have welders in the family , how much does she charge per rim ?:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, HappyHillbilly said:

Where can I find shims & washers for these?

Ace Hardware has a huge selection of thin thrust washers. I have gotten 18 Gauge (0.050") and 14 Gauge (0.078") 3/4"thrust washers there, they were about a buck each.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’m not sure what shims you are talking about, the wheel is usually right on the hub.  

By by the way, many people grab a handful of fine thread 7/16” bolts and run those into the hub from behind, then run standard lug nuts.

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Ace Hardware has a huge selection of thin thrust washers. I have gotten 18 Gauge (0.050") and 14 Gauge (0.078") 3/4"thrust washers there, they were about a buck each.

Oh right.... we were talking about front wheels!  Please forgive me @HappyHillbilly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

HappyHillbilly
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Yeah, the front ones. Haha! No problem. Been there, done that. Plus - I didn't specify for what tractor. It's a '76 C160 Automatic.

The '76 Parts List varies a tad from the '78 Service Manual.

The first photo below is from the '76 Parts Manual & the 2nd photo is from the '78 Service Manual. I can sort out the discrepancies between the two.

Also - one wheel has a cotter pin holding it in place while the other front wheel has a bolt. I find it odd but think that's the way it was made & not altered.

3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

If you take some soft copper tubing and hammer it flat, you can use it behind any holes and then weld on the rim.  The weld will not stick to the copper...save a lot of grinding.  :occasion-xmas:  Helps if you have a daughter that welds.

Did electrolysisto get rid of rust.

The copper sounds like a good tip. Those wheels look really nice. Good work!Tell your daughter I said; "Kudos."

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Thanks! I'll take a look at the Ace I found the throttle shaft thrust bearings at. I thought some of the listed parts suppliers would have them but I've searched quite a few of them & eBay to no avail. I'll find what I need or hand-file a washer into a shim. Haha!

wheelparts1.jpg

wheelparts2.jpg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Possibly one spindle has been replaced?  I have some with cotter pins, some drilled nd tapped with a retainer bolt.  I prefer the bolt, but either works!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Shims.  I keep .01 .02

Shims.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HappyHillbilly
10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Shims.  I keep .01 .02

Shims.JPG

You're the man! Thankfully - and surprisingly - I remembered you posting info about a thrust bearing in my very first thread here. So I Google "low-carbon round shims" and scroll down a few lines & recognize the company name. They have a warehouse 2hrs south (Atlanta) and I got the assorted set and it will be here tomorrow for the cost of ground shipping. Oh, yeah! :happy-partydance:

• Like 1

meadowfield
On 3/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, pullstart said:

Ask @meadowfield and his son what a repairable wheel looks like.  They practically had a bolt pattern, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, we could fix that..

Ewan's RJ wheels were Swiss cheese before we started on them

IMG_7971.JPG

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 3

HappyHillbilly

Thanks. I dropped the wheel off with a local welder yesterday. He said he could fix it up & said due to the time he’d have in it it will probably cost about $50-$60 and it would be about a week before he got to it.

i had confident feeling about him so I left it with him.

• Like 1

HappyHillbilly
On 3/18/2019 at 9:35 PM, pullstart said:

Possibly one spindle has been replaced?  I have some with cotter pins, some drilled nd tapped with a retainer bolt.  I prefer the bolt, but either works!

You are right - the left one has been replaced. I found out for sure while talking to Lincoln @A-Z Tractor (super nice fella) this morning. I took the right wheel off last night and the spindle is eaten up so I ordered a replacement for it along with a few other parts.

Next, I'll be on the hunt for some red or black neoprene-type hub caps - something besides the hard plastic ones. I'll find 'em - I've not spent much time searching for them yet. Dang - now I've got several irons in the fire....  :confusion-seeingstars:  Haha!

• Haha 1

953 nut

Here you go, Glen is great to deal with.

• Thanks 1

HappyHillbilly
43 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Here you go, Glen is great to deal with.

Thanks! I found that post after running my mouth......  :angry-banghead:

• Haha 2

Pullstart
17 hours ago, HappyHillbilly said:

Thanks! I found that post after running my mouth......  :angry-banghead:

You’re gonna fit right in around here :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 3