Daron1965

Any info on this plow?

Daron1965

Came across a unique plow,  it appears that this is a 2 bottom plow. Owner says it's a dearborn plow.  Can you tell if it's missing anything?  Value?

574451598.jpg

• Confused 1

pfrederi

I do not see the second plow share.  Two bottom plows are popular at auctions around here.  Used for feed plots and  by some hobby farmers. Would look right with a Ford 8N.  With the clay/rock mix here it would work the 8N. 

953 nut

As the two plow shares are headed in opposite directions I presume this is set up to allow one plow to be raised while the other cuts a furrow. When the end of the field is reached you lower the other one and plow back using the same furrow avoiding having a dead furrow. Sort off like this one.

pfrederi

Those are also know as roll over plows...My eyes are not as good as Richards I do not even see the second plow share.  The coulters are in line and parallel do not think they would be on a roll over reversible plow.

• Like 1

Daron1965

There is two shares.  One looks as if it turns sod over to left when pulled,  the other to the right.   

953 nut

This one isn't a roll over plow, looks like one would be lifted while the other is turning soil. Perhaps our expert plow dogs can help.     :confusion-confused:           @PeacemakerJack, @WHX22, @Achto,   how about it, can you help out here.

• Like 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

This one isn't a roll over plow, looks like one would be lifted while the other is turning soil. Perhaps our expert plow dogs can help.     :confusion-confused:           @PeacemakerJack, @WHX22, @Achto,   how about it, can you help out here.

I think you have it Richard.  the knee action I circled would let you lower one share. Not sure how you would use it.  If you dropped both at once you could make a nice trench for drainage etc....  In any event you aren't pulling this with a Wheel Horse .

Inkedplow_LI.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Haha 1

Daron1965

No plans on pulling with a wheelhorse.  I just thought it was an unique piece of farming history. 

Did some research,  found this:

IMG_3886.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

This is the same design plow my new neighbor uses.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1