Sign in to follow this  
bc.gold

Onan / Kohler Electronic Ignition.

bc.gold

Everything needed for the prospecting trip has been loaded just waiting for the next check deposit to hit the road.

My Onan CCKB electronic ignition conversion with a twist, instead of mounting the crankshaft trigger as suggested by others I have chosen a different route. Instead of mounting the trigger externally it will ne internally where it will be free of dust and grass clippings.

Where the end of the camshaft is blackened I'll machine about 0.030" from the diameter then reinstall the cam then set the flywheel timing mark before using  transfer punch to mark the cam where it should be drilled.

The 0.030" from the diameter of the camshaft has to be removed making the diameter perfectly round, those eccentrics that previously opened the old breaker points have to go otherwise you'll never be able to obtain a proper air gap on the magnetic proximity pick up.

This hole goes straight through giving me a trigger point 180 degrees from number one cylinder. Now the camshaft is once again installed now to install the magnetic proximity trigger which then is wired to a module of your choice. I'll be using the GM 4 pin HEI ( high energy ignition ) module.

I've discussed this project with Brian Miller and received a favorable reply, he likes my idea and says it will also work on several of the Kohler models of engines.

Using the contact points push rod hole to install the magnetic proximity trigger will assure that some home made externally mounted bracket is not going to vibrate lose. Brian Milers page on alternative ignitions, http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm

Hi Gill. I've been thinking about what you told me how to convert your Onan to a fool proof electronic ignition system, and the same principle can be applied to the Kohler K482, K532 & K582 engines. Thanks for this because I've had some customers ask me how they can convert their Kohler K482, K532 & K582 engines to a fool proof electronic ignition system.

Brian Miller
030.png

2871.png

eccentric.png

triggerhole.png

transfer.png

bc.gold

Onan uses several different camshafts. some will have like the one below a shared casting number that identifies the camshaft lobe profile grind which determines when an intake or exhaust valve is supposed to open or close. 

A camshaft for a slow 1800 rpm generator engine would usually have a different camshaft profile than say an engine developing power in the 3600 rpm range.. The cam below is from a generator but has the same casting number used in the higher rpm engine, the only difference is that the lobe for the fuel pump has not been machined.

Generator governors use 10 flyballs to maintain engine speed while only half are used on the 3600 engine.

When ever changing out a camshaft always check the casting numbers to assure your using the right cam for your engine.

lobe.png