Sign in to follow this  
landsurveyor

Rebuild Charger 12 or Commando 800?

landsurveyor

I have two tractors now, a 1968 Charger 12 and I bought a commando 800 (minus engine) this weekend, now I am in a dilema about which one to rebuild....

I only have one engine (on the charger) and the two tractors are in about the same condition, with a few parts missing on both. i only have enough bits to make one of them a good tractor!

Which one should I make a keeper, is one rarer than the other? I would like to show the finished tractor, so want it to be the best one.

PS: I cant find the build plate on the Commando to find its age, anyone know where it should be?

Decisions Decisions........... :omg:

TT

Unless things are drastically different on your side of the pond, the Commando 800 should be a 1972 model.

I'd go with the Charger 12 since it's a long frame and most any attachment for "normal" WH garden tractors built from 1966 to 2008 can be made work on the C-12 with little difficulty.

This usually sparks an argument or two, but the hydro is superior when it comes to mowing - especially if your lawn has a lot of obstacles.

HorseFixer

I would agree with TT at least you have the correct engine for the Charger and thats just one thing less you have to deal with. :omg:

pfrederi

OK I will take TT's bait.

I first started WH mowing with my Father's L107 in 1967. It was bigger and faster than our first rider a Porter Cable ...but the Porter Cable had 5 speeds (courtesy of a belt drive system) vs the Lawn Rangers 3. With the Ranger 2nd was too slow for part of the yard and third was too fast. ...Many years elapsed and the L-107 was retired from mowing duties and a C81 8 spd and C175 8 speed were added to the fleet. Still the issue of 2nd to slow third to fast....finally added a 418a and a Charger 12 auto. Now I think I am ready to pick the sweet speed somewhere between 2 and third....NOT...So Fast. If you have a hilly yard you find your self having to constantly tweek the control lever to maintain the desired speed. It is sort of irritating. (By the way my wife has a JD with hydro and foot control...it also requires constant adjustment but using your foot seems to be easier than the hand lever on the WHs)

Then there is the winter issue. I was looking forward to using the snow blower on an auto, again to pick the perfect speed....BUT. Hydros have to warm up before you can use them in the cold. Not such a big issue in the 418 as it has a real brake. You can move her outside set the brake and let the hydro warm up...but the charger 12 doesn't have a real brake. Pulling up the "Parking brake"; disengages the hydro...so it can't warm up. Having had her start creeping away one day whilst warming up to blow snow was disconcerting to say the least.

Finally anything mechanical will eventually wear out/fail. I can fix any 4 or 8 speed for a lot less money than is required to revive a tired hydro.....

landsurveyor

Many thanks for your inputs, I think I will rebuild the Charger, as suggested, (has a better name too!!) seems a shame to scrap the commando, so might search for some bits for it and have two tractors.......

If TT has a charger thats good enough for me!! ( Im sure TT has a commando hidden somewhere too!?).

Cheers guys.

Simon. :omg: