pabird

C-161 8 speed for FEL project?

pabird

So I've been kicking around the idea of building a bucket for my C-161 8-speed. In fact I've ordered the plans. What do you guys think? Is the C-161 enough tractor or should I look for something else? A friend of mine has a C-175 twin auto that will probably be for sale. I don't plan to use this FEL commercially, just around the house moving gravel, mulch, etc.

JoeM

That is plenty of tractor, only issue is steering. The 520 gear reduction steering is worlds better for steering with a load You will have to be moving to steer, but it will work.

Might want to keep the bucket size down a bit too. Maybe 36 wide.

I had one on a 418H and it worked out okay, but later I looked around and picked up two 520 rollers and build on those steering frames. Dedicated machines.

• Like 2

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

Only thing is I would still keep is the 42" bucket size as it's easier to load less of the heavy things but it can still carry more of the light stuff like mulch, brush or something.

The steering stuff on the tractor can always be worked out, especially if you have the tools and skill to build the FEL. 

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

cschannuth

I agree on the steering. I used the 520 with gear reduction and it still steers fairly hard. However, as long as you are moving when you’re  turning your steering wheel it’s really not that bad. By the way, plan to spend a lot of time building your loader. But when it’s done you’ll have a great sense of satisfaction and really be surprised how capable it is. Especially if you have adequate ballast weight on the back. 

pabird

I have a blade on my 161 and use it for a mule. I'd like to keep it set up like that. I cut my lawn with a simplicity. So I was thinking I could buy the 175 for the FEL. Or would it be worth it to find a 520? Would there be enough improvement in the steering?

953 nut

:wwp:         When you do the build please share the adventure with us.    Any "C" series will be just fine. Engine HP is a nice thing to have but I don't think your 16 will have any problem. Like John said, I think you can improve the steering later if it becomes an issue. The KTwin on the C-175 is sweet, is it an Eaton hydro?

Edited by 953 nut

pabird

I'm don't know much about the 175 but I'm going to call and find out. He told me in passing one day that he was going to sell it because he had bought a zero turn and I told him to let me know I might be interested. Thanks for all of the replies. I'll keep updating as this project progresses.

• Like 2

pabird

I did a quick look at craigslist in my area and found a couple 520h's. 1500 and 1600.00 bucks. One had 600+ the other had 800+ hours. Can someone give me a ballpark on a C-175 please?

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, pabird said:

I have a blade on my 161 and use it for a mule. I'd like to keep it set up like that. I cut my lawn with a simplicity. So I was thinking I could buy the 175 for the FEL. Or would it be worth it to find a 520? Would there be enough improvement in the steering?

I'm a 100% that the 520H would be the best for the loader not only the steering but the larger (heavy duty) front axle spindles and the Eaton 1100 hydro for direction changes vs an gearjammer.

pabird

Thanks Hillbilly, since I'm going to buy another tractor for the FEL anyway I might as well get one that's better suited while sticking with wheel horse.

• Like 1

JCM

Just my 2 cents,I had my  KWIK-WAY LOADER on 3 WH tractors, C165-8, 417-8 & a 520-H.and  the  1991 520-H was by far the easiest tractor to steer and handle with a decent load in the bucket. I used this loader mainly for bark mulch, firewood and moving around fieldstone. The 520-H was the most stable then the 417-8 and the  C 165 the least. Overall a great loader with never any issues, kept indoors and well maintained. Good luck.

• Like 1

pabird

Thanks JCM, seems like the consensus is a 520 is better than a C series. Although a C series would get the job done. Thanks everyone for their opinions and real life experiances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1