paxz71usa

Snow Thrower Install and Remove Approximate Time

paxz71usa

I've been looking at a couple of snow throwers over the last 2 years and was wondering approximately how long it takes to install them and how long to remove it. I have a 1973 12 Automatic that I use a lot in the winter to haul wood into the house (wood piles are in the woods), haul a wood splitter around and other projects when weather permits so I can't put the thrower on and leave on from fall to spring. So far this winter I would only have used the thrower perhaps twice. Having two tractors is out of the question although it would be nice :D. Just wondering if putting it and taking it off is worth it at all.

Thanks Gary

:USA:

Ed Kennell

The real pain is getting the flag connected to the lift lever.   Once you have the blower installed and the lift rod length adjusted with the spacers, you could remove the blower and leave the flag in place.   If you don't use the lift, just tie the flag up so it doesn't  catch anything.  

With the flag already in place, you should be able to install or remove the blower in 10 minutes.

Or, get a plow and leave it  on all winter.    I haven't used my blower for 3 years.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

paxz71usa

Thanks Ed, sort of what I figured, but I thought I would ask. There was a like new thrower ad recently here just a couple of miles from the house for 200.00 and I passed it up. I didn't want to pass up another one if it was practical, but it appears not. Guess I'll just have to build a bigger shed and have a tractor for each job like I saw in one of your photos recently! :D

Gary         :USA: 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

agree with ed kennell , on the blower hook up , i also put the blower on a 4x4  to make it a quicker hook up. i hook up at tech a matic  ,first , giving me  mechanical advantage. at the lift rod hook up. also agree with the 10 min mount/dismount time, pete

• Like 2

daveoman1966

If only need a blower a couple of times, why not mount a DOZER BLADE instead.  The blowers have lots of high RPM moving parts prone to breakdowns / repairs.  A  dozer blade (42 or 48") has virtually no such parts and require little maintenance.  Whats more, the dozer blade will come in useful in so many ways...especially in the woods, grading driveway, and they are awesome for snow clearing as well.  IMHO...get a dozer blade and leave it on permanently.  Very easy mounting too.  Will require a rear axle mounting bracket which is also used for a roto-tiller.   What's in this pic is exactly what you need for the dozer blade.  I HAVE THIS AXLE BRACKET....  send me an email if wanted.  my email is:  daveoman@windstream.net    

DOZ 42.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

BTW Garry, if you do decide to go with a plow, I have an extra 42"blade w/ long frame and axle bracket.    PM me for pics or stop by the barn if you are interested.  

Edited by Ed Kennell

12Horse Paladin
46 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

If only need a blower a couple of times, why not mount a DOZER BLADE instead.  The blowers have lots of high RPM moving parts prone to breakdowns / repairs.  A  dozer blade (42 or 48") has virtually no such parts and require little maintenance.  Whats more, the dozer blade will come in useful in so many ways...especially in the woods, grading driveway, and they are awesome for snow clearing as well.  IMHO...get a dozer blade and leave it on permanently.  Very easy mounting too.  Will require a rear axle mounting bracket which is also used for a roto-tiller.   What's in this pic is exactly what you need for the dozer blade.      

DOZ 42.jpg

I tend to agree....In the last two years, I've acquired a few tractors, and the single stage blowers in package deals.

Last yr I acquired to dozer blades...

I gave one blade to Dad; he also setup one of the blowers on one of the other tractors...

Now, it's just this winter he's used both. But, hands down, it's blade all the way, to him n me, both. Yes, that blower works....but in heavy/wet snow...meh; not so much. I am gurssing a two stage would do lots better/be more "impressive" , in use....but haven't come across one, yet...

And I do know it gets tiresome, fast, if you have to lift that blower a lot, if you don't have hydro power. Not so easy turning/maneuvering, either.

Truth is, one, maybe both, would got sold already, maybe....but it's nice lookin' @ n usin' that old iron in action, too, sometimes, lol....not like they're bein' made, anymore.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck!

• Like 1

midpack

it's pretty easy to mount/dismount a single stage.

that being said, I have 2 machines set up for snow removal. one with a plow, one with a blower. I love the blower on my 417-8 (electric lift) but when it's wet and heavy I usually grab the plow machine. 

I think the bigger engine works better with the blower, my plow machine is powered my a Magnum 12. I've had the blower on that machine but you could tell it was working harder

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Ok my take on the situation,  the single stage thrower will lift rather high 8-10" vs the 3-5" a dozer blade does, so with that being said why couldn't you leave it attached from fall to spring even fetching wood from the woods.

IMAG2989.jpg

• Like 3

pfrederi
33 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Ok my take on the situation,  the single stage thrower will lift rather high 8-10" vs the 3-5" a dozer blade does, so with that being said why couldn't you leave it attached from fall to spring even fetching wood from the woods.

IMAG2989.jpg

Maybe if power steering was involved..:P.  also you would need a lot of room to make a turn

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
24 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Maybe if power steering was involved..:P.  also you would need a lot of room to make a turn

I'm sure I wasn't thinking about the steering issue on anything less than a 520H or an xi with power steering. Thanks for reminding me.

cleat

I have both blowers, blades, front end loader etc and they all have their place.

For a light snow under 8" or so the blade does it well and quickly.

For a very deep snowfall the little wheel horse would have trouble pushing a blade so the blower works better.

For the odd time we get wet sloppy snow sometimes it ends up being a bit of both.

Always best to have multiple tractors, Wheel Horses in particular love to travel in herds. :lol:

1862982136_Snowteam20181.JPG.dbb888928fe1aea3a9dfab69489aec4f.JPG.76281600f73d7a473d8022be0de03d45.JPG

snow.JPG.a7422b2446fe75c06f280109571c7b4c.JPG

Here is my lineup from 2015

1091791411_WheelHorsesnowteam20152.jpg.0d37b5496996e7a39fa7cc0e70a3df89.jpg

1305822725_WheelHorsesnowteam20153.jpg.76d4446c64bd662df4a69b6a1cf8e395.jpg

1740642955_WheelHorsesnowteam20155.jpg.3dd21e70d0c711003f53234c5872092f.jpg

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

cod
10 hours ago, paxz71usa said:

Thanks Ed, sort of what I figured, but I thought I would ask. There was a like new thrower ad recently here just a couple of miles from the house for 200.00 and I passed it up. I didn't want to pass up another one if it was practical, but it appears not. Guess I'll just have to build a bigger shed and have a tractor for each job like I saw in one of your photos recently! :D

Gary         :USA: 

Gary,

Quarryville, isn't that far from Jarrettsville so if you think you'd be interested in a snowblower, PM me and we can chat. I've got a short chute I rebuilt about two years ago and just picked up a tall chute so it can go to a new home.

Cod

• Like 1

SPINJIM

What everyone said about the single stage blower is true, especially if you keep the 'flag' attached when you remove the blower.  

The two-stage is another matter.   Allow a few hours and a lot of grunt work.  It weighs a ton, and I needed a small jack to get it in position to install the weight-relief springs.  I just leave my two stage on the tractor year round, but haven't had to use it in a couple of years.   But I've used the plow 5 times so far this season.   

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

:text-yeahthat:...

IMAG3960.jpg