p38js

K181 carb issues need help

p38js

Ok guys I need a little help, I have a k181 that does not want to run without the choke part way or full depends on what adjustment has been made.  Background I bought the 875 not running.  I put new points coil and condenser on, new battery, Re-wired the tractor,  I put new fuel hose and filter on cleaned out the tank and the gascolator screen, also installed new choke and throttle cables, and as of now I have rebuilt the carb twice now, completely torn down and placed in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with a mix of 25 parts vinegar 25 parts simple green and 50 parts water, blown dry with compressed air and ran small wire thru the ports being careful not to make the ports bigger. I have installed new gaskets and needle valve and seat, made sure I could blow thru the high idle needle valve, I have set the float per the Kohler maintenance manual.  I have the governor arm set to the bottom hole on the governor arm and the hole closest to the carb on the carb arm, I have set the high idle to two turns out and the idle vale set to 1 and a quarter turns out. 

When starting the tractor i pull pull the choke make sure it moves and crack the throttle about a quarter engine catches on the first hit,  here comes the fun part as soon as I touch the throttle or the choke the thing dies,  I found that if keep the choke about half way out the engine runs great until I try to adjust the high idle, I hope I have provide enough information, I know i’m missing something easy and i’m over looking it.  Engine does not smoke except for a little puff of black smoke on start up with the choke all the way out. I’m really close to just ordering a carb from EBay and calling it done,  I would really like to try and keep the carter on it I feel it is a better carb if I can ever get it adjusted correctly 

Ed Kennell

Have you checked for excess air being sucked in around a worn throttle shaft or a bad carb/block gasket?    Spray some WD 40 around these areas and note if it affects the RPM.

• Like 4

Howie

:text-yeahthat:   Also I would try backing the high speed needle out some more, maybe up to 1/2 a turn. Initial 

settings are just that because at least to me they rarely ever stay actually at that setting. May have to 

do the idle also. at least in my 40 some odd years doing these it seems to be what I run into. But do 

get a curve ball thrown at me once in a while :D.

p38js

Still having problems after cleaning the carb again and reinstalling, now when I adjust the high idle the engine runs away, I reset the governor arm as per the manual, still runs away I’m thinking the governor gear is broken or missing. Before I tear it apart to get to the gear.  How do I adjust the speed.  I have not been able to find out how to do that with all my research I cannot find a manual where this little arm is shown. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciative.

932615C1-66A1-4707-ACA0-DE64BA99CA2B.jpeg

gt14rider

Check the governor shaft, does it spin all the way around or does it stop to left and right. If it spins, the tab on the sheft broke off. This would cause the run a way. If not throttle cable to that little arm needs to be adjusted. Kolher  k181 service manual should have info,  I have better info at home will send when I get home

p38js

The cross shaft does not spin all the way around.  I have the arm and brass plug removed hoping I have enough room to get a boroscope in there to see if the gear is intact before I remove the engine and go in thru the oil pan

gt14rider

Before you open it up . Adj the cable. You set rpm by adj cable length and bracket cable is clamped, I'll send adj info later today.

• Like 1

p38js

Thanks that will be great

gt14rider

So once you adjust the governor, throttle cable wire through that little arm on speed control disc, (D) the cable is attached to the throttle bracket, throttle bracket at 12 o clock, loosen brass nut slightly, enough to move bracket,. Very slowly move bracket clockwise to decrease, counter clockwise to increase. Move bracket very little at a time, k181 max rpm is 3600 don't over rev. 0310191730.jpg.268eb415c5c35c91263f8957196903c2.jpgIt would be a good idea to get a hand held tachometer to get proper rpm.  Hope that helps. Also look up k181 throttle linkage adjustment, there are some good posts on here   o I almost forgot this adjustment can be a pita.

0310191731.jpg

0310191713.jpg

Edited by gt14rider
Remember how much of a pita it can be

p38js

I will give it a try tomorrow, all I can tell you is at this point when I start to adjust the high idle the engine takes off if I were a betting man I would say it goes way over 4K rpms. In fact i’m Almost afraid to stand by it when it takes off.  And I do have a hand held tach that I will put on it

gt14rider

Before you start,  with governor set, throttle cable all the way in, tap throttle bracket clockwise, (little arm all the clockwise)  motor should start and idle, if it runs away shut it off, governor not working.   Also can adjust how much cable sticks past clamp on throttle bracket. Let us know how it goes

p38js

Will do

gt14rider

How are you  making out with adjustments 

p38js

Gt14 rider I have been down with the flu and I have to go out of town for a week so hopefully next week I will get some time to get back at it

gt14rider

Been there,  sick for more than a month this just couldn't shake it.  Want to here a good one, went to start my 856, nothing,  not a click. 

It always  starts,  DUH !  Forgot  I took the  battery out  last fall.

• Haha 4

p38js

We will just blame that on sick head it happens 

pfrederi
1 minute ago, gt14rider said:

Been there,  sick for more than a month this just couldn't shake it.  Want to here a good one, went to start my 856, nothing,  not a click. 

It always  starts,  DUH !  Forgot  I took the  battery out  last fall.

Sort of like running the battery down cranking  then remembering I shut the fuel off.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

p38js

Oh boy I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that

p38js

So I finally found a little time to mess with the 875, so I put a new carb on and cleaned and adjusted throttle and governor linkage. I was finally able to get it to idle and start without the choke starts on the second revolution everytime.  Now it seems that I have a fuel delivery problem at fuel throttle it will run for a minute then just shut off no fuel in the in-line filter,  so next step is to remove the fuel tank and clean the gascolator (sediment bowl) and remove the inline filter,  I did put a new fuel pump on but it is a plastic one, could be an out of box failure.  When I have the fuel line disconnected from the carb and turn over the engine fuel is pumped out of the line but still could not be pumping enough.  I have not had an engine this hard to get running, this one is really kicking my butt.  I keep telling myself this is the fun of the hobby.

gt14rider

Does it run for a while and  die? If so my be a clogged gas cap vent or it's the petcock clogged or partially open . They be a pain to open.  Try running with gas cap off to check cap vent. Won't  hert to clean tank though. 

Edited by gt14rider

p38js

So apparently when I disassemble the sediment bowl cleaned and put it back together I got a piece of Teflon tap in the supply line and it was blocking the fuel flow.  Now I have to buy a new sediment bowl because I dropped the glass and it is now in a million pieces.  You can’t make this stuff up